We Pass the Bread and the Wine Just like in the Bible! But, why is forbidden to eat?

by lusitano o tuga 63 Replies latest social humour

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I was raised a witness starting in the late 1950's. It amazes me that someone who claims to have once been a JW is so poorly informed about the religion they say they once believed. Soon I expect we'll see someone saying, "So what's with this YHVH stuff?" or "Why did anyone need a ransom?"

You dub kids today...

• waton
    waton
    au contraire my friend....the bread and wine symbolize the *substance* of that envisaged (motivational/empowering) LIFE ID:

You are reading high falutin stuff into the simple ceremony, that angle deserves you hitting the "new subject" button.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I was raised a witness starting in the late 1950's. It amazes me that someone who claims to have once been a JW is so poorly informed about the religion they say they once believed.

You were raised as a JW since the late 1950's . I'm guessing you stopped believing once you realized how "poorly informed" you were yourself. It seems you've retained the superior judgmental attitude however.

• waton
    waton
    It amazes me that someone who claims to have once been a JW is so poorly informed about the religion they say they once believed. NN:

au contraire (mot du jour) , we are so well informed that we can pick the mess apart and show how flawed, and wrongly -based the wt doctrinal house of cards really is. and exposing it, in order to free followers from the illusion.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear waton...

I'm so glad you mentioned that!

It turns out that in their effort to discard any whiff of mainstream christianity, the WTBTS fudged their personal "translation" from the KJ bible. Reading from the NWT we read the account in Acts 12:3 it says that Herod imprisoned Peter during the Days of Unleavened Bread (which falls AFTER Passover) and then in Acts 12:4 it says that Herod planned on releasing Peter to the people AFTER Passover. The KJ bible says Easter...not Passover. The reason for this is because it wasn't Passover that was celebrated, it was the pagan festival of Easter/Eastre godess of dawn (not to be confused with what mainstream christianity celebrates now as Easter. ie: the resurrection of Christ)

So, Peter did not come upon the disciples celebrating Passover, because it was over...not because it wasn't celebrated any longer.

love michelle

• waton
    waton

"--michelle, ma belle--",

thank you, I am not a deep scholar, and the wt illustration with Peter scrambling out of the hole with the full moon rising in the east, reminded me of the palm fringed sight at memorial, but it struck me as odd, that the most important Christian holiday would not be enshrined in scripture from the very start. Glad that some of our chains are broken too , like Peter's.

P.S. one would think with the big night so close, past or not, would at least merit a passing connecting reference? now "-- if I ruled the world--", inspired the bible---

• myelaine
    myelaine

It is true that mainstream christianity has taken the pagan holiday "Easter" mentioned in Acts and commandeered it for the celebration of the resurrection of Christ BUT there is no biblical mandate to do so. I am somewhat conflicted about the Easter celebration, myself. The resurrection of the Lord is the most awesome thing to happen!!! but scripture AND Jesus teaches that the sacrifice is the event to be remembered. I give and accept grace where this is the concern :)

xo

• waton
    waton
    The resurrection of the Lord is the most awesome thing to happen! m-e:

I can no longer share your satisfying belief and need for the details of the narrative, narrowly focussed on the talking snake event, without which the whole plot is not plausible.

• myelaine
    myelaine

I'm not sure what you mean? A passing reference to Passover in the account in Acts? If so, ALL of God's feasts were important and Passover/Feast of Unleavened Bread fell together in the calendar year so I don't know if the Passover would have been given prominence over the other. They were remembered together in the eyes of the nation. The disciples were jewish and had a jewish world view not a contemporary "christian" worldview (as modern christians consider Easter and Christmas huge in their world view) things have changed in the church a whack in the last 1900 years.

❤️

• myelaine
    myelaine

Thank you for being candid, waton. It's possible that neither of our respective beliefs are tangental to the discussion anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit