At 1.4% growth the last 2 years, it's safe to say, jw.org and cart witnessing is an abject failure!

by nowwhat? 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Although they talk of exerting yourself in the ministry. The main goal is to keep you occupied with busy work. So you stay in a routine and not have time to think for yourself. And it's all about self esteem of being seen in ministry. And regarding sbf saying 1.4% is still respectable, it's pretty much zero in Europe and usa and 3% in africa among illiterate and superstitious folks. If every jdub had stopped having kids when it was strongly recommended back in the 1980's we would be at 2-3 million

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

In terms of providing the R&F an easy incentive to stay loyal and obedient and get their time in, I personally think it's an unmitigated success.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I was talking to one today in town. He was under the shelter of a shoe shop in the rain. I made a friendly comment about him choosing the wrong day to be out and said my sister is a JW (which is true. I never let on that I'm a former member).

I asked how he's finding it and he said, and I quote, "Yeah, it's going good. We're not interested in placing magazines or books anymore. We just want people to see the sign and maybe they'll visit our website."

I made polite chit-chat and left.

Maybe they'll visit the website?

My grandfather would turn in his grave.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    LevelThePlayingField - "Any 7 year old child can comprehend that reducing over 100 congregations over a 10 year span is NOT an increase."

Maybe even a 7-year-old JW child. :smirk:

Seriously though, I agree...

...sorry naysayers, but in what world is that kind of reduction indicative of growth, rather than decline?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Although 1.4% growth isn't great , it is still a lot better than many religions.

Yeah..however, most other religions -- especially the bigger ones -- don't give a shit about follower numbers. In fact, they make no attempt to count anything. Any numbers are usually from outside surveys.

But in the JW cult, they DO care about these numbers, and they only believe the numbers they count themselves, using the method that is the most beneficial to them. That alone should be a reason to suspect any numbers coming from them are accurate.

These numbers are for sure getting massaged, even if it's just by doing a very creative method of counting.

• newdawnfades
    newdawnfades

I am certainly not confused. Nobody I know has had to fill in a form or get special approval to engage in cart witnessing. Maybe different regions or congregations have different rules.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

It depends on the area. My brother asked once to work the cart and was told no. Only those that received "special training " we're allowed to. Lol !

• steve2
    steve2

newdawnfades, I don't think anyone called you "confused". When I used that word, I was describing myself! But you make a great point: Perhaps there are regional variations in whether or not those who want to do cart work have to complete forms.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I am certainly not confused. Nobody I know has had to fill in a form or get special approval to engage in cart witnessing. Maybe different regions or congregations have different rules.

But, i'm sure there has to be some kind of approval, no? Even if it's just a verbal consent. How else could you get the cart? It's not like these carts are owned by individual witnesses. They have to approach someone in the congo and ask "Can I use one of the carts?".

• steve2
    steve2

While JWs who meet the minimum dress standard can join in the door-to-door work without express approval by the local bodies of elders, JWs cannot engage in cart work without the express approval of the local bodies of elders - I suggest there are likely no regional variations in that requirement.

I think where the most interesting discussion has occurred in this thread is whether, beyond the metropolitan areas newdawnfades refers to, application forms need to be completed by those wishing to do the cart work (which must be signed off by the local body of elders).

From the feedback I've received from family still in the organization (and who belong to semi-rural congregations), and from comments made by other posters on this forum, all JWs need to complete the forms. However, I concede there just may be regional variations on this requirement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit