"If the Earth were just a little bit further from or closer to the Sun, we would all freeze or burn"

by Island Man 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Both Venus (67 million miles from the sun) and Mars (141 million miles from the sun) fall in the Goldilocks Zone for our star. If earth were to trade places with either of them we would still have liquid water on the surface of the planet. While life would almost certainly be different - it would by no means be "impossible".

The biggest differences between our sister planets is atmosphere. One has too much and the other too little. Though in a few hundred million years Venus volcanic activity may calm down enough for the planet to support life. And Mars once had oceans on its surface - possibly even life.

Our Sun if over 4 billion years old. And will likely run another 5 billion before swelling into a red giant. The current state of our planet is but a snapshot in time.

Even more destructive to the Creationist's arguments - we now know liquid water can form absent the necessary energy of a star. Both the moons Europa and Enceladus of Jupiter and Saturn (respectively) have vast liquid oceans.

• prologos
    prologos
    CD: "The biggest differences between our sister planets is atmosphere. One has too much and the other too little. Though in a few hundred million years Venus volcanic activity may calm down enough for the planet to support life--

and then there is the long Venus days: I day is 116 days--, not 24 hours, and then the sun rises in the west, goes down in the east, really hot at midday. no relief, but the inventive evolution process could find a niche for life with that long cycle too.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

One of my favorite lines that has been in many talks by "brothers" and COs and at assemblies is...

Wherever science has looked - they have not found a planet like the earth.

Gee - that like going to the beach - taking a teaspoon out - getting a spoonful of water - looking at it - and saying - Well there are not whales in this ocean.

As if there was a exhaustive study of all the planets in the universe to find out.

So now that we are discovering planets by the bag full every week - and we are starting to find earth like candidates - will this erroneous line stop being repeated over and over?

NO.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    What a lousy creator, it took him billions upon billions of attempts to finally get it right. Think about all those planets in the universe that were part of God's failed attempts to produce the ideal environment for life.
  • Dunedain
    Dunedain

@ Coded Logic - Is that true about the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, Europa, and the other one you mentioned, having vast oceans?

That is a very interesting fact. I don't believe I heard that before. I had thought they were frozen, but I am probably wrong, lol.

If you have a link, or anywhere you could direct, that has info on the moons having oceans, specifically, that would be awesome.

I appreciate it, thanks in advance.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Were it not for joke-hova, the habitable zone around the sun would have extended beyond Mars. That thing blew up the planet between Mars and Jupiter, which was inhabited quite comfortably under Satan. This created problems on Mars, erasing life from that planet. It almost destroyed us on Earth, creating the tilt. And we WORSHIP that monster?

I wonder if joke-hova also had anything to do with obliterating life on Venus, creating conditions that would quickly render that planet too hot for life to survive. For sure, joke-hova isn't doing anything to help science unravel this mystery--if science could prove that our asteroid belt was once a planet that joke-hova blew up, how many people would still want to worship that thing?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Dunedain...

They are frozen, just not all the way down.

The liquid water is under the ice.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

ttdtt - "For once god sakes - read a book!"

Never gonna happen for the loyal JWs.

Know why?

'Cause deep down, they're scared they might be convinced of something that doesn't jive with "the Truth".

Know how I know?

'Cause that was me.

Know how I got over it?

Realizing that going through life afraid of being wrong was stupid and fundamentally dishonest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit