Baptised 52 years today!

by Phoebe 44 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Phoebe: January 29th - my baptism date. Can you remember how you felt at your baptism?

I never did get baptized but I do remember 52 years ago. This photo was taken in the summer of '67 at an assembly in Canada.

That's my Dad leading that newly baptized person out of the pool. And that is me watching - the 10 year old girl at the side dressed in a green dress and white cardigan - I was so proud of my dad...he was the best as far as I was concerned. He always did the dunking at assemblies - a big strong farm boy that could handle most of the big and heavy ones getting baptized (he couldn't swim and almost got drowned a couple times!)

Mom and Dad had a rule in our house - you couldn't get baptized before you turned 16. So my older brother and sister did the deed but I never did. I wasn't very old when I figured out that being baptized meant that you could get into deep shit if you screwed up and then that meant that you missed the Paradise train.

However, being unbaptized meant that when I stopped going to meetings when I was 13/14, I became a target for any and all JWs that came into my world. By that time, my mom had been disfellowshipped and my dad was fading. Only my older bro and sis were part of the special elite class of the baptized ones with jehober's favor.

Shortly after I had quit attending meetings I got a visit from two of the "brothers" (pre-elder days), they were sneaky about it because they arrived within minutes after my mother leaving for work and I was home alone. They came inside and gave me the talk about "not making it through Armageddon" (which was going to be here in only a few years!!! damn that '75 crap). I was so upset that they had pushed their way into the house when I was by myself and I remember being really scared and nervous but determined not to give in. So when they threatened me with death at Armageddon, and actually said that "if Armageddon comes tomorrow, you won't make it", I responded with:

"Just going back to meetings won't save me. Because according to your teachings, I would be destroyed anyways. Unbaptized children are judged on the actions of their parents and you guys kicked my mom out and my dad has stopped going. I think you need to leave now."

They didn't know what to say...they left all red faced and then my mom blew her lid when she found out what they had done. Both those "brothers" got earful from her when she phoned them.

I am so so glad that I never did the water bath.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Can you remember how you felt at your baptism ?

There were several ahead of me in line but it was a relief to get into the water because I really had to pee.

Rub a Dub

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

I got baptized cus my friends were, and it was the only chance to try and get a JW girl I had a crush on.

Just like Freud said - its all about the p#ssy:)

• new boy
    new boy

Also 52 years ago on January 7, 1967. I was 17 years old. This was old for an almost born in. And I have been out for over 17 years.

Though PO and MO however the mental contamination will take a full life time to get rid of.

• Stuck in the middle37
    Stuck in the middle37
    I felt no pressure to please anyone it was my own choice and I felt good about it. Now some 63 yrs. not so much.
    The Year 1955, We went down to southern Calif. to visit my sister for a few weeks they were have their circuit assemble the lapel badge, I still have, reads (Hear why a new world is possible Sunday Aug. 28 3pm Greek theater Ganesha Park Pomona,Calif.) I thought this is between me and God I didn't tell anyone I was getting baptize. I felt good afterward. It was a lot Simpler back then not a lot of questions to answer.
    I've been out about 10 yrs now. I still have some anger know they lied to me all those yrs. and angry with myself for not being able to see the Organ. for what it is.
  • Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

sorry for your loss.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just like Freud said - its all about the p#ssy

I got dunked at 11 because the girl in the Cong (hubba hubba) was already baptized (tho 3 years older).

Geez! She was hot!

• titch
    titch

50 years ago, this past October, so, 1968. It was in conjunction with a C.A. at the Orange County Fairgrounds, in Costa Mesa, California. Oh, to be sure, after the baptism, it brought other congregational "privileges", such as prayer before or after a meeting, reading the paragraphs at the Watchtower Study, or Book Study, having parts on the Service Meeting. Best Regards, all!

Titch

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

RubaDub you are naughty but you reminded me about my baptism venue. Does anyone else have those dreams where you are looking for a loo and there are only dirty public toilets available or there are no doors on the cubicles? It's your subconscious mind stopping you from peeing in your sleep, saying don't do this you're asleep!

Well when I got to the assembly where I was going to get baptised the ladies' loos didn't have any doors on! They were doing a refurb but hadn't quite finished. I should have known then! 😀

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

OrphanCrow told us, "I wasn't very old when I figured out that being baptized meant that you could get into deep shit if you screwed up and then that meant that you missed the Paradise train...However, being unbaptized meant that when I stopped going to meetings when I was 13/14, I became a target for any and all JWs that came into my world. By that time, my mom had been disfellowshipped and my dad was fading."

There is a sadness there, even though I'm happy for you that you were so wise at such a young age. Can I ask... what caused your Dad to fade? Why did your parents give up on the religion for which they once demonstrated such enthusiasm?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit