Helping my family see the truth about 'the truth'

by Stella3 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I don't know if your a bible believer or not but I think that if your not blowing holes in The bible to help wake someone up is easier then blowing holes in thier cult. Many have said here over the years that attacking the cult doesn't do much good they have a defence for this and it kicks in when you say something. The bible on the other hand is a different matter. Their unprepared for an attack on it. They have always been taught that it gods book and nothing is wrong with it. As soon as you show them some things that are wrong in the book your destroying thier foundation thier cult is built on. In time the whole thing may come down and thier cult no longer had a leg to stand on.

This is a bit how I did it with my friend I would say things in rebuttal about how Jesus wouldn't do this or that when he complained about the elders or something but the rest of the time I would show a point in the bible to show how screwed up it is. Now he often says how stupid people are to live thier lives based on a book written 2000 years ago.

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Stella, there are many good comments and suggestions so far on the thread. I will add one more: visit the Best Of Section of the board. There is a lot of great information there.
  • Giordano
    Giordano

Years back Stella my JW sister-in-law separated from her husband and she and her two children moved in with my wife and I. She arrived with $7 in her pocket and a couple of garbage bags with their clothes.

She knew we were no longer JW's but this was the only really safe place to go to. In fact we were the only family to invite her to stay with us. I'll spare everyone the day by day of putting helping her put her life back together.

Since I worked at home and had health problems ....... I took a walk around a lake in our area daily. I invited her to join me and so we started the habit of walking and talking. Sometimes my wife would join us or her kids. Sometimes I invite a friend to come along.

It became a walking meditation......... eventually she brought up the subject of why we were no longer JW's. I kept the explanation simple. Just never believed in it sufficed. She grew emotionally stronger and as she did she brought up some JW issues she had had. A lot of it centered around a women's roll in the Society, male domination. Eventually over the course of months she began to come to her own understanding that her JW life had been demeaning and down right toxic.

She gave up on it and decided to look at life differently. She went on to become a very successful business person. The kids grew up without the religion and are emotionally healthy. She said it was because of our walk and talk. It became a calm time to appreciate nature, and talk about anything that was on her mind.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Freddo - Thanks and I appreciate the support!

Giordano - great post - walking daily and letting your mind settle can be a powerful tool

• Stella3
    Stella3

I just spoke to my mom. I was talking to her about my sister and how she needs to move out of their house because she is 32 years old and needs to take responsibility for her own life Ect. Then it dawned on me that if my sister moves out of my moms house then my parents wouldn't speak to her. I asked my mom if this was true and all she could respond was 'yes that would be tough but that's not the situation we are in fortunately'

I think that because I left at such a young age and haven't had to deal with being disfellowshiped only limited I actually forgot that it was a real possibility for my sister. It makes me so upset. I have this loving and caring mom who is totally run by this organization, what a mess.  How does the GB sleep at night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit