Would You Go To A Memorial Service For A JW )if you were no longer attending the KH)?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Going to my mother's funeral at the KH I grew up in was awful. My childhood friend was there with her parents even though she'd moved away. She kept away from me. Lots of other faces I recognised but they all avoided me.

I honestly don't know if I want to go through another KH funeral service. Even when my siblings pass away. Is that terrible? None of us know how we'll feel until it happens I suppose. Do they want me around, will my being there help? I mean if it doesn't help them and it doesn't help me what's the point?

• zophar
    zophar

As a PIMO elder, I found doing funerals presented a great opportunity for me to speak "truth." The so called "talk" became a eulogy with anecdotes from the deceased's past. An opportunity to remind the audience that the deceased had believed they might never die and how they lived with that disappointment in their later years. I defined their faith in Jehovah, not an organization and reminded the audience that God never lied and he was faithful, hint, hint

Once, a known apostate attended a funeral I performed. He was very complimentary and expressed his appreciation. Best comment I heard! I did my job!

....oh and yes, I have been called to the back room of Kingdom Halls many times. Seems independent or free thinking is very much frowned on by leaders. The rank and file however seem to appreciate a refreshing change from what they are used to hearing at a JW memorial or funeral. Maybe that is why I've beeen asked to do so many funerals. People long to hear good things about a loved one's life and experience. Chastising into doing more for JW .... not so much!

One of the few things I was proud of while an elder.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The answer for myself would have to evaluated upon how close I was to that person, since I left the JWS 30 years ago I have almost no close relationships with my past JWS friends.

I did attend my mother's funeral though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit