Would You Go To A Memorial Service For A JW )if you were no longer attending the KH)?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Nope. I'm dead to all of those people and none came to my funeral. They all died a couple years back. My dad died 6 months after I disassociated. I wasn't welcome at his memorial. I did see some family at hospice, and that getting dragged in and out at their behest is a mind fuck. I learned my lesson. I won't be present for anything, nor will they be present if anything should happen to me. The deaths already occurred.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    ...your thoughts please?

My thoughts are that as much as I can opine on the matter, this is your family, your bonds, your relationship, and people that you love. No other JW or ex-JW can/should tell you what your decision should be.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I was talked into doing that a few years back. It was horrible. I swore I would never do it again. (unless it was a family member)

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I have only one parent. My mother who treated my wife and me so badly for several years using the so called truth as a weapon. I will not attend her funeral. She will be 95 this April and does not even know who I am or anyone else. If my brother wants to give her a memorial I won't be there.

Someone said we need to show respect towards our parents for giving us life. But when abuse from them was a every day thing I feel the respectful thing to do was not be there. Still Totally ADD

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I have several times. For the family, and people I care about. It was cringeworthy sure......but I find if I make sure I stay above the fray.....that nobody really senses the need to challenge me.

• minimus
    minimus

Recently someone we knew passed away tragically. My ex-wife and daughter and a couple of their friends went to the funeral service and they were encouraged by our “ex friends “ to sit with them. My ex and daughter were surprised at how many people warmly greeted them.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I did, I think it was my last meeting in a Kingdom Hall. Went because the guy was a friend and an all around good guy. It was a surreal experience. I was already being shunned by some since I had been publicly reproved and of course the elders tell their wives. But being there listening to all this crap knowing full well by now that it was all just a make believe lie. Listening to all this crap about he will be back in the resurrection and what a wonderful hope we have. Puke!! Couldn’t wait to get out of their .

• just fine
    just fine

It is going to depend on who it is. My parents maybe, but mostly to support their disfellowshipped grandchildren. I don’t need to put my grief on display. My husband and non-JW friends will support whatever I choose.

My siblings? No thanks. They are vile human beings, the world will be a better place in their absence.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

i wouldn't attend my mothers because she wouldn't be there for mine. She has disowned me and I'm not even DF. As for anyone else in the congregation? I definitely wouldn't attend.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

No I would not. I have no close relationships to attend for. All those "great" friends are from long ago ignoring me. Maybe for the one niece that is still in but that's pretty iffy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit