UFO's might be real.and what does it mean if they are?

by atomant 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

If aliens came down and made first contact with humanity, the entire WT leadership would completely lose their shit.

There simply isn't room for the possibility of ETs in the conservative fundamentalist evangelical worldview.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Hopefully they wouldn't land in Brooklyn

"take me to your leader"

Image result for stephen lett face

• Island Man
    Island Man

UFO = Unidentified Flying / Floating Object. Do people ever see objects flying in the sky that they can't identify? Yes. Therefore UFO's obviously do exist. What does it mean? It means that we are not always able to identify flying objects.

I think that credible investigations have revealed that the vast majority of UFO sightings are caused by errors of perception, where very innocuous objects are mistaken for alien spacecraft because of poor viewing conditions or other peculiar circumstances.

In some cases the UFOs are actually experimental military aircraft being test-flown. It may also be satellites. A distant aircraft can appear to accelerate unnaturally fast if it changes direction from moving toward the observer at a slight angle, to moving perpendicular to the observer's line of sight. A large number of claimed UFO footage are also hoaxes. A lot of the documentaries on UFOs are sensational in nature, designed to appeal to conspiracy-minded viewers rather than actually giving the objective truth.

There is a lot of fakery, half-truths, distortions, exaggerations and wild imaginations when it comes to UFO claims. There simply is no real evidence of extraterrestrial visitations, and I'm saying this as someone who thinks it very likely that there is life out there somewhere in our vast universe. But knowing the vast size of our universe and the tremendous distance between stars I think it very unlikely that alien life would be able to physically travel to us and back. The vastness of space is virtually an impenetrable barrier to interstellar commuting between planets that host intelligent life. I think the likelihood of there being life out there is greater than the likelihood of them being able to come to us or we go to them. The most we can hope for is picking up some form of extraterrestrial communication broadcast - assuming they're even technologically advanced enough to achieve such a feet. And that's another thing. We seem to always assume that alien life would be just as advanced or more advanced than we are. Maybe the majority are primitive superstitious beings with very little or no scientific or technological knowledge. The universe could be teeming with intelligent life, but we could be one of very few or perhaps the only ones who have advanced technologically to the point of being able to broadcast to outer space.

• zeb
    zeb

In broad clear daylight I saw a formation ( 8 ) of ufo fly over. These were conical point at the top and metallic in appearance. No sounds no lights no outward indicators like markings, lights etc.

No they were not a flock of birds, a spot on the lens (mine) balloons, the planet venus or a flight of planes from a air base there are none within 500 k etc.

I mentioned this to my wife who is 'uber' and she looked most distressed but said nothing.

All I hope is who ever or whatever 'they' might be I hope they haven't stuffed up their planet like we have ours.

Rutherford once let it be known the Jehovah lived in some constellation so many miles from earth. But I would consider that his DT's.

If any et types were to land and make themselves known it would blow the gb etc clean out of the water.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

zeb - "...I mentioned this to my wife who is 'uber' and she looked most distressed..."

'Course she was.

Like I said, there simply isn't room for the possibility of ETs in the conservative fundamentalist evangelical (including JW) worldview.

Know how I know?

It was confirmed in a university study done a few years back (damned if I can find it, now, though)... ghosts, demons, angels, witchcraft? Sure. ETs, though? Not so much.

Plus, back when I was "still in" and - more or less - a believer, seriously considering the prospect was disturbing as hell for me (despite the fact that I was a huge sci-fi movie geek - figure that one out ).

• Island Man
    Island Man

I don't think E.T life will pose a huge problem for JWs. After all, there's tons of evidence proving evolution and still JWs continue by ignoring and denying the evidence.

E.T. life contradicts nothing in the bible. The bible is absolutely silent about it. If ET life were discovered, Watchtower can easily claim that it is part of Jehovah's creation created during the period mentioned at Genesis 1:1. They can say the bible is not an astrobiology text book but was written specifically to man addressing spiritual matters pertinent to man.

Alternatively, they can claim that it's all a grand deception by demons. They can say that aliens are demons in disguise here to mislead and distract us from God's kingdom, which is the only hope for mankind. They might even claim that Jehovah created aliens perfect on other worlds but those who are visiting us are rebels who joined with satan and the demons and are here to mislead us.

I don't see the discovery of ET life crushing the JW worldview. It would only force Watchtower to tweak it with "new light". If evolution hasn't crushed Watchtower I don't see ET life doing it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

For some reason this subject has not received much attention over the years

Because in the scientific community its unproven or based upon weak evidence.

• talesin
    talesin
    WhatshallIcallmyself2 days ago
    talesin - The fact that there are unidentified things seen in the skies is one thing and I doubt anyone would suggest there aren't such things. However it is the conclusions that some people jump to that stretch credulity...!

You obviously did not check out the story - it crashed into the ocean, and was tracked by both US and Cdn gov't. *shrugs* I am neither a believer nor an unbeliever. I have what is referred to as an 'open mind'. I don't look at fuzzy vids on youtube - this incident caught my eye because it is local, and still a mystery.

----------------------------------------------------------------

atomant - oh, cool! If you were a JW at the time, then you know my family!! xx *grins* And btw, i am nothing like them, and if it weren't for the genetic resemblance, would think I was switched at birth.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Island Man - "I don't think E.T life will pose a huge problem for JWs. After all, there's tons of evidence proving evolution and still JWs continue by ignoring and denying the evidence..."

Non-intelligent extraterrestrial life (i.e. alien animals)? Sure.

V- or ID4-style "first contact", though? Not a chance. See my previous posts.

x

Besides, it's - arguably - an unfair comparison.

The evidence for evolution - while compelling - is both subtle and complex, and isn't something that would be obviously and constantly shoved in the skeptic's face the same way that, say, a giant mothership floating over Manhattan would.

x

Note: any allegations that the aliens were actually "demons" wouldn't hold much water, either, because why would fallen angels need spaceships?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit