(fluff) British expressions

by DanTheMan 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

From the movie Snatch ---

Jacobs. Does this mean testicles also?

"If you ever stop me whilst I'm walking again, I'll cut your f**king jacobs off."

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

thats cockney rhyming slang. Jacob's crackers = knackers = testicles

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks for all the totally awesome and cool responses dudes and dudettes!

So, how do you use the word bollocks? Give me some examples, the only time I've ever seen it is "Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols".

Also, I understand that a homely woman is sometimes referred to as "Ginger" - is this correct?

American Public Television runs a lot of British sitcoms, I die laughing at Keeping Up Appearances - is that show still on? Onslo is a riot. "Aww, nice!"

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Dan,

"It's the dog's bollocks." = It's rather good isn't it.

Other words:

Banging: A pounding beat. Usually found in House, Trance, Techno music.

e.g. "wow, this tune is really banging."

Ignored One.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    So, how do you use the word bollocks? Give me some examples, the only time I've ever seen it is "Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols".

"What a load of bollocks" = "What a load of nonsense"

"Bollocks" = Rubbish = nonsense or, depending on the situation, can be a way of saying "Piss Off" = "get lost".

IIYou can also use it, for example, when making a mistake: "Oh, bollocks!"

Good, eh!

Dansk - whose father was champion foul-mouthed git of Britain!

• Matty
    Matty
    Also, I understand that a homely woman is sometimes referred to as "Ginger" - is this correct?

If we use the word "homely" it has a nice connotations, it never means ugly. I can't work out why American's use that term negatively, surely "homely" should denote warmth and happiness?

"Ginger" is a term homophobes use - it's rhyming slang for queer, i.e. "Ginger Beer", I have never heard it being used in that way to describe a woman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit