(fluff) British expressions

by DanTheMan 25 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

a question to my fellow United Staters on the board,

Do you find yourself using British expressions in your daily life because of being on this DB so much?

Two that I've picked up - I occasionally will call a friend "mate" (they look at me kind of funny)

Also, I use "bloody hell" as a curse, it has become one of my favourites!

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I use "bloody hell" as a curse, it has become one of my favourites!

Glad to have been of help But "bloody hell" isn't necessarily used as a curse. It can also be an expletive used when something is considered outstanding, for instance.

Dansk

• Duncan
    Duncan
    when something is considered outstanding

as in "Football, Bloody hell!"

from a certain Mr A. Ferguson after THAT game in 1999.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Right on the money, Duncan:

as in "Football, Bloody hell!"

from a certain Mr A. Ferguson after THAT game in 1999.

I didn't get to Barcelona but, being an avid Red, watched the match on television with my two sons. "What a bloody great team!" "Bloody great match." "Bloody 'ell, we're European Champions". "Bloody 'ell, we've done the TREBLE!"

Of course, these expletives were in the mind, only. Mustn't swear in front of the children.

Bloody Dansk

• Xandria
    Xandria

British Slang.. I got a crash course.

I will knock you up later.. ( no this doesn't mean he or she will get you pregnant.. it means they will call you. I was shocked to hear this until it was translated).

Chocolate Starfish ... um you sit on it. .o0( use your imagination)

a Chocolate Wink ( is um the backside of the cat)

Stirring the Porridge ( um.. don't ask)

Don't every say I am going to spank your fanny... um it is not the same thing as in American Slang.

Trouser Snake

Ming

feel free to add to this....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food~with strange names:

Bangers and Mash

Spotted Dick

Bubble and Squeak

Foods that were based on a dare ( especially Scottish Food) I daarrree ya to eat that:

Haggis

Scottish Eggs

X, if the need a translation.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Not forgetting that most satisfying of Brit slang bordering on obscenity......

"BOLLOCKS....................................!"

It actually means testicles, but a Texan lady I used to know really savoured the sound and would roll it around in that amazing Sourthern drawl that she had.

Englishman.

• Dansk
    Dansk

A.K.A. "Cobblers!", e.g. "What a load of bollocks!" = "cobblers" = crap! See how things evolve (?)

Xandria, I haven't got a clue what half of those "British" sayings you posted mean. Who told you they were British (or have I lived too sheltered a life under the Borg)?

Dansk

• Sirona
    Sirona

Dan,

I'm the opposite - I keep using "Americanisms" all the time and my partner goes mad about it! I always say things are "totally" something.... and are "cute". I even caught myself saying something was "real good" - we don't say that we say "really good". Argh!!

I always insist on NOT using americanisms in normal language - I always say the word "either" as "eye-ther" rather than "eee-thurr". I really winds me up how some english people pronounce certain words like americans. We need to preserve our own language IMO. I've nothing against american terms/pronunciation as long as it's americans who are using them.

I personally like cockney rhyming slang, although its not used much where I live (up North!). Sometimes I get caught out when someone wants to make a call on the "dog", or fell whilst going up the "apples and pairs", or got something "half inched". LOL

Sirona

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Not forgetting that most satisfying of Brit slang bordering on obscenity......

This just reminded me, my mother and I were walking back from the meeting with a lil old black sister one night and the black sister said "I feel so persecuted, my husband gave me a right bollocking before I came to the meeting, he always bollocks me for taking a stand for what is right"...

You should have seen our faces, I laughed my socks off and my mom stood aghast. Poor little sister thought my mom was aghast at the telling off she had from her hubby, she wasnt, it was the word used.

So it aint considered swearing to everyone.

Brumme

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

"At the end of the day" we are all people.

Spice of the gets lots of "English" tutoring class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit