I spoke to 2 Jobos on a cart but I refused to discuss religion

by punkofnice 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was in a good mood yesterday (makes a bloody change, I hear you say). I was meeting an old buddy for a meal. He was never a Jobo. Before we met I went to the Polish supermarket for my usual bits and pieces that ASDA and TESCO don't sell. Adventurous me!

The people in the shop know I have half Polish grandchildren and they ask after them. Nice people the Polski Skleppers.

I can't abide long posts, can you? Sorry I'm rambling.

Long story short(ish). I saw a couple of trolleys (sorry the American side of the cult forces the Brits to call them 'Carts', which isn't our cultural name for them...twots).

The trolleys (there you go GB, I called them TROLLEYS, get over it), had Polish writing. I said to the young couple, 'Polish, right?' They moved like greased lightening with beaming smiles to talk to me. They really were a lovely couple. I gave the guy a big man hug and told his wife, 'I'm not hugging you, but I'll shake your hand British style when greeting a lady.'

We discussed their home towns, Polish rock bands and language.

When I said I was Atheist and could never believe in god, the guy made an assumption that I had never really noticed before. He assumed I 'believed' in evolution.

It struck me that the Jobo mindset is so black and white that there is no room for other options.

I said to him that considering how life got here wouldn't be of much use to me. All I know is that I'm just living in the moment, knowing that oblivion will be upon me soon and all my experiences will count for nothing.

Sorry, am I boring you?

When they asked me to look at JWdotorg, I said, 'No advertising, please. I just want to talk as friends, don't spoil it with religion.'

Yes, I know I'm being highly contradictory here in terms of talking to them in the first place and explaining my god position.

They gave me a brochure in English. I couldn't refuse. Neither could I bring myself to unwitness to them. It was just so nice to have a natter.

You get it, don't you?

Life is so fragile. It is to be treasured. It is to be respected. Each and every one. (Apart from the Governing body, that is. They do not qualify as human).

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Nice one punk!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

punkofnice I loved what you did by just being nice. It made me think this is the approach we should all do. It is kind of a reverse love bombing. What you did just may put some cracks in their wt world. Showing them that there are other good people out in the world even atheists. If they can't reason just use love bombing. Who knows this just might work. Great job!!! Still Totally ADD

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

thank you stuck and STADD. I saw this lovely couple and just wanted happiness for them both. I even told the 'sister(tm)' she had nice teeth. It got a laugh from them.

It's sad that they're slaving for that filth, the Governing body.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

its my understanding if a member of the public go to a trolley-keeper and show interest---the person is given a leaflet and / or directed to the watchtower website.

what happens if the person then takes it further--and asks for a bible study ? how does the process then take over ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Stan - I was given a brochure about creation. I took it because I wanted to have a critical butchers at it...it was in English. I haven't looked at it as such, but it looks like an infant school workbook.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

do you think if a person send a request for a study to head office----does the referral go to the nearest congregation--who then give it to specific dubs to follow up? thus taking it away from the muppet staffing the cart ?

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Stan,

What you are describing would be the old school way of doing things,

Handing interest over to the local congregation

I can't imagine why this would change

:0)

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

Hi,

You should go back (joke) and give them a free copy of the "The Selfish

Gene" or something similar,

Wouldn't it be cool if they read it!

But I agree completely, that you don't have to have the mysteries of the

universe sewn up in order to recognize what is clearly wrong

:0)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

tepid - I think they said they're there once a month. I'll look out for them. They haven't been in the UK long, hence they don't know me. I used to be an Elder(tm) in the Polish congregation.

I hope to see them again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit