Remember The Green Song Books

by new boy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Not only do I remember the green song book but also the hand held fans that were the same color as the song book with song notes on them. Still Totally ADD

• tiki
    tiki

I think I might still have one of those green ones still....there was a hard cover black brown she (my mother dunked in 1938) had from earlier...songs or hymns of the brethren....it has a lot of "Christendom" hymns in it....protestant variety. Then the pink one...then the big brownish one...then I was gone. From what I gather they are pretty pathetic these days.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Never be by threats de turd.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think even Charles Taze Russell would turn over in his grave if he heard those songs sung at meetings.

In fact i think he would be turning over so fast he would be doing cartwheels in his grave .

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

We actually had a local needs talk about how the songs are actually prayers.

As teens, we highlighted words and sang them very loud as No Apologies mentioned above. We had three or four favorite ones.

For example, on the Song (#10 at the time) House to House, one verse ended "hence we are not deterred."

That soon became "hence we are not a TURD". Which later became "hence we are not the TURDS".

It was so funny to have a 8 or 10 of us teens barely sing until the word Turd when we would yell it out.

Once the elders got on to it, we had the local needs part. But it was hilarious at the time.

Rub a Dub

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I remember the green one.

Take my silver and my gold, nothing lord would I withhold....

Not sure if this is the green one, but it had just a lot of repetition.

To the work, to the work oh you servants of God mmm mmm let follow the work that our master has trod..... Hastening on, Hastening on, Hastening on, Hastening on, Hastening on, Hastening on and going till the work is done.

Really wanted us to hasten on....

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

As a new convert I actually though at least a few were fun to sing along with and maybe one or two had a nice melody, was it #15 ? Some ended nicely with a long piano note if whoever was at sound would let it taper off. Many I found hokey but was interesting to 'witness' a little bit of that backwards culture I felt. Yes the new song book is atrocious and happened right around the time I started my fade to dissociation. Whoever came up with the idea for a new song book dropped the ball big time.

• sir82
    sir82

Hah!

I don't remember the title, but one of the old brown songbook's songs had a line:

"Their calls for succor he quickly will hear..."

"Succor", of course, being a rather archaic word for "help; assistance".

The funny thing was, virtually no one was a word nerd like me, and no one knew what "succor" meant.

What they did know, is that it sounded like "sucker" - in the cloistered world of JWs, that's pretty close to a cuss word. At the very least, it is highly disrespectful to sing that word in a Kingdom Hall!

So every time we sang that song it would go like this:

[90 decibels] THEIR CALL FOR....

[40 decibels] ....succor...(mumbled by about 25% of the congregation, not sung by the rest)

[90 decibels] ...HE QUICKLY WILL HEAR....

Did that happen in anyone's else's KH?

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

I like the Pink ones with the Gold Lettering:)

• Dagney
    Dagney

So are there any carry over songs from the past in the new songbooks?

I was trying to think of the old old old one they always used to play as they marched out the door for baptism. But for the life of me, I can't remember...I've been gone too long I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit