You Don't Need to Know

by onacruse 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse

Scully, the word megalomania also comes to mind, eh?

Gopher, yes, those "operative phrases," or, as Hayakawa decribes it, "the language of social control." All societies have their "catch phrases" that bias and mobilize their respective communities (e.g. "infidels," "communist," "Protestant"). The words invoke a sentiment and provoke a behavior, without the listener/reader even necessarily "seeing" how; almost like a knee-jerk reaction.

Beck, I rather think that would be Lucifer, as the "bearer of light," even as Satan is said to transform himself into an angel of light. "If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!"

crinkel, I also don't recall picking up that sentiment so strongly in the 50s-70s, though as I look back it certainly was there. I think one factor might be that Rutherford was on a "mission from God" to rid the "temple" of those pesky elective elders and centralize authority to Brooklyn, and too debunk the "character development" of the Bible Students in favor of "human doings" to replace human beings. The revival of a more strident tone since the early 80s has some of both factors in it, except that now it's "apostates" instead of elective elders.

Jason:

We have to remind ourselves that to date the Watchtower Society has not rescinded this doctrine

That's why I liked brumm's thread about our JW history. Seeing how the WTS developed explains a lot about why it is the way it is today, and where those subtle (or not-so-subtle) ideas came from in the first place. When we identify that, then all-of-a-sudden those things jump out of the page, and we see them for what they really are. Like BT said "the more things change..."

Cliff:

How would I react to those WT quotes if I were a good little dubbie?

I'd like to think that some overt statements like these would have shocked me, but in reality I have to suspect that I'd probably just have swallowed hard and gone along, at least until 1975. After that, my doubts grew more every year, and my willingness to conform diminished.

Craig

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I sit here trying to remind myself of how I would have felt if I were still in. How would I react to those WT quotes if I were a good little dubbie? I don't know at whom to be more shocked: the pompous delusionals that foist that crap, or myself for accepting it.

- Cliff

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

"I sit here trying to remind myself of how I would have felt if I were still in. How would I react to those WT quotes if I were a good little dubbie? I don't know at whom to be more shocked: the pompous delusionals that foist that crap, or myself for accepting it."

WELL! I don't know what happened and how my last post got "on" before I was ready! I just wanted to say that I wonder how MANY of us have the same feelings that Cliff expressed? I know it sums up MY thoughts---REAL well!

Gonna hit "enter" now! Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit