Uninvited...again...

by Anders Andersen 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

So a week or so ago we received an invitation for a JW friend's wedding anniversary party in the mail.
    It was addressed to 'the Andersen family' (and not just Mrs. Andersen & baby Andersen) which was pleasant of course, but not a huge surprise given the type of person who said friend is.

However, I already prepared myself to be uninvited after all. Why?

Some time ago, there was a congregation farewell party/get-together.
    To my surprise, I was invited too! An elder specifically came over to my house to tell me.
    Then some weeks later, he visited again, being terribly sorry but the invitation was revoked as the congregation got concerned over my possible presence.

With that debacle in mind, I wasn't surprised to receive a message from my friend 'Hey are you at home? We need to discuss you being at my anniversary party'. Well what do you know! Yesterday he told me I'm not invited anymore as the congregation was getting upset about me being there.

In a kind way (but in no uncertain terms) I explained to him what a disgusting practice it is to try and force people into a religion by using emotional blackmail. That's it's very hypocritical to send letters to Putin demanding freedom of religion, yet refusing to allow others their freedom. My wife heard it all. She wasn't (visibly) upset about what I said, but she didn't seem to agree much either. I'll try to talk to her about it today, see where that goes...

• waton
    waton

they are not worthy of you.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    Yesterday he told me I'm not invited anymore as the congregation was getting upset about me being there.

Recently, during the CO visit meeting with the elders, the CO made a point on this. If an elder or a MS organizes a only-JW gathering at his home and is inviting a family where a member is Da'ed or Df'ed or an active apostate, he has two options: either he can revoke the invitation to the family member or tell the other invitees personally that such a person would be present in the party so that they can choose whether to come or not.

• dozy
    dozy

I had the same not long after I had faded while my wife was still attending. I was invited to a JW going away party then an elder came to my home to tell me that the elders had discussed it & I was no longer welcome. I asked him to show me scripturally why they had taken the decision & it really threw him.

My wife then told the elder that obviously she wouldn't be attending either , nor were the children & I think then he realised that he had made a stupid mistake & began to backtrack , saying that the elders would re-consider it but I told him just to forget it & politely but firmly showed him the door.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I actually wish they had been so explicit with me.

Shortly after I parted ways with the bOrg, both me and my mom were invited to a wedding. I didn't want to go. I knew my friends would be there. I knew it would be as awkward as a junior prom without spiked punch. But I didn't want to offend the bride and groom, so I went.

It was pretty smooth for a while. I had my corner of the building (it was a big place) and my erstwhile friends had theirs. The only problem was that there was only one set of restrooms and they were down a narrow corridor. I only went to the bathroom once, so it was either deliberate or one hell of a coincidence... But when I walked out of the bathroom, she was just there staring at me; looked as if she was going to cry any moment. But before that happened, she turned around and went her way. I think that is the last time I saw my friend in person.

I've hated weddings ever since.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

I'm sorry you were sucked in such an embarrassing situation...again!

So the congregation got upset?? Hmm, what a subtle way to let you know something's "wrong" with you. Anyway, let's hope your rebuttal and awesome Russian example will reach some sane minds in order to reckognize their own hypocrisy.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Um.....WOW to these stores! Families are a package deal. If I or my spouse was "un-invited" to some gathering, event, or party, I would promptly tell the organizer to F*ck themselves, and not ever come back!

This farce of a "religion" really has a lot of balls to claim they are only the only ones showing "Christian Love" in this world.

Freaks!

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray
    AA:- "I explained to him what a disgusting practice it is to try and force people into a religion by using emotional blackmail. That's it's very hypocritical to send letters to Putin demanding freedom of religion, yet refusing to allow others their freedom."

Great point.

Hope that got him and your other half thinking.

I might have to ask the JWs that question.

I'm dying to know... would you have gone if you were invited?

• tiki
    tiki

If a person chooses to host an event...a party...social gathering....he or she determines a guest list...they invite people decided on....and those people choose to attend or not. How on earth does it happen that outsiders...aka elders...stick their noses in and decide they have the right to vet the invitation list???? And why would a host or hostess let someone else tamper with their guest list??? And proper social behavior...if you are invited somewhere and you find out that someone who bothers you will be there...that is your personal problem. You can opt out or take the high road...attend and be civil and friendly to your loathed one. These people are so screwed up.

• backformore
    backformore

That's when you just blow it off and thank him for letting you out as there was something that is actually enjoyable you were wanting to go do that day anyway. Be happy about and wish him well too. That really throws them off and shows that there really is more to life than their wacky little cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit