Dis/UNITED Kingdom?

by BoogerMan 46 Replies latest social current

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

England, Wales, Scotland & N.I. are independently making or changing the Covid 19 lockdown laws/rules to suit themselves..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52600708

Garden centres are opening in Wales on Monday, in England on Wednesday, but by the looks of things, are far too dangerous to open them anytime soon in Scotland or N.I.

I thought this was a national crisis. Boris only acts as Prime Minister of England. What statesmanship!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes but why is that a problem if these governments are acting out upon the effectual condition they have within their own responsible regions ?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

That is the result of devolution. .. you give semi autonomy to Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland and they have to take responsibility for themselves.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

We keep being told that "we're all in this together." LOL!

Discriminatory "emergency" laws/rules - based on your postcode - contradict that propaganda mantra.

Boris is emulating Mrs. Merkel, by passing the hot potato to others to deal with - "in their own region."

• cofty
    cofty

Hardly Boris' fault that Nicola is posturing to her independence audience. There are areas of law that are devolved to the four countries of the UK. There is absolutely nothing Boris can do if they decide to do their own thing.

Scotland will follow England's lead with a small lag.

I live ten minutes from the Scottish border. Can you imagine the traffic heading south to Berwick garden centre next week!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i went to the local b & q yesterday--to the garden center. well organised queuing system in and out. trolley handle sanitiser available. polite staff, good humoured customers, one way foot traffic paths round the store. long may it continue. spent 40 quid on plants.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

@ cofty - devolved powers & laws are one thing, but a national crisis/emergency situation overrides devolved administrations - or at least, common sense says they should. AFAIK, London dictates in such situations.

If not why didn't the U.K. government accept N.I. & Scotland's wishes to remain in the E.U.?

I'm off to B&Q garden centre now!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Good for them. Businesses have to reopen or you'll have government run everything in short order.

The UK is not very hard hit in comparison with other countries, so reopening makes sense right now. Hospitals aren't overflowing due to proper policy which many lib-dem decried over the last years expanding private practice and with it healthcare capacity.

Having a devolved government policy is right in line with conservative values, local governments know better than a central government what their regions need.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Crofty

But handy for avoiding minimum price booze and being able to buy after 10 o'clock at night 🍺

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Quote from BBC News: "Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to unveil the system, which will use a scale of one to five, as part of an address broadcast to the nation at 19:00 BST."

Yes BBC - to the ENGLISH nation, not the Welsh, Scottish, or N.I. nations.

The only thing "united" in all of this was the contempt of the chief advisors in England and Scotland, Prof. Neil Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood who broke the laws on "social-distancing" which they dictated everyone else should obey! But they weren't sacked - they "resigned."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit