Spacy question - ISS and gyros - what u think?

by MrRoboto 28 Replies latest social current

• kairos
    kairos

even more fun:

You can go out an look at the moon and see Tycho crater.
    The big bright one.
    It's 54 miles wide. You can see it with the naked eye from 239,000 miles away.

Cool, huh?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Ive seen jupiter. Thats at least 250 miles away 🤔

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

And I thought this was about Kevin Spacey !

• waton
    waton
    So we see the reflection off a small object that's not designed to reflect light to earth.. kairos

wrong. it is actually designed to reflect light. to keep it cool, in the glaring sunlight, shiny surfaces also keep warmer in the shade. The only surfaces on it, to absorb sunlight, stealth-like, are the solar panes, panels, turning the sun photons's energy into electricity.

The station can be seen at night with the naked eye, get their schedule for your location.

kairos, = appointed times, greek, this time for the viewing.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

waton is that question in watchtower minutes or real minutes? also please do tell, what WT havoc am i spreading here? perhaps you misunderstood something i said?

-----

anyway, thanks for the input everybody!

• waton
    waton
    wt question for you: if the gyro spins a slow 100 revolution per minute, how many is that per day, tip: it is in the wt bible. twice.

here is the answer: 100 rev per minute, in 1 hour 6000 revs, in 24 hours 144 000 revs.

I hope wt keeps minutes, it would be revealing to see the wednesday warwick ones.

havoc = keeping wt-type misinformation alive, distracting from the real issues, it's like magic.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

oh i can see why my calculations were off now, i was using the old "1 minute in WT is as a thousand years"

oops, my bad.

oh and for the havoc, i have not stated anything false nor have i given mis/disinformation but if you disagree, please tell me what misinfo i gave so we can clear that up.

• waton
    waton
    please tell me what misinfo i gave so we can clear that up. Mr Roboto.

sorry, did not mean that, just was momentarily peeved at looking to science questions, that could be answered by simple example, Gyros in orbit? look at Uranus. Actually like these science problems.

just thought wt would be very pleased that their greatest threat would be tangled up in patently bizarre discussions, this not being one of them.

My own misinformation, on the Moon observation, Eclipse shadow not 5, but only 3 hours. live and learn.

have a great year everyone.

• kepler
    kepler

This was originally about cd players acting as gyros, right?

There are a couple of ways you can look at gyro action.

Let's say you take the front wheel off of your bike. You hold it by its axel and you move it around. Say you hold wheel so the disk like form of it is parallel to the ground. Now twist it a little off that horizontal plane and see how it feels. There's some effort to twist, right? Now do the same thing while it is spinning and the twisting effort is harder. In effect the spinning wheel is stabilized in space. It's not heading off across the room, but it likes to stay oriented where it is.

Now another way to look at it is when you spin the CD up or down there is rotational force imparted to it, a torque. If the wheel or CD spins in one direction, then there is an equal and opposite force or torque in the other. Not having seen the video, but I suspect, that if the CDs start up and slow down, the astronaut or some attached object can be oriented in space.

If you know what how the CDs will behave, spin at a constant rate, speed up or slow down, then you can orient the player or an object attached to it. You can point it in a direction you want it like a camera suspended in the air.

But you should not get the object to move ACROSS the room by changing the spin rate, unless you can push off another object with the reactive torque converted into a force.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit