Are we in a computer simulation?

by Brokeback Watchtower 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znMK2VIUQbA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

Consequences of living in a simulation[edit]
    Some scholars speculate that the creators of our hypothetical simulation may have limited computing power; if so, after a certain point, the creators would have to deploy some sort of strategy to prevent simulations from themselves indefinitely creating high-fidelity simulations in unbounded regress. One obvious strategy would be to simply terminate the overly-intensive simulation at that point. Therefore, if we are simulations (or simulations of simulations), and if, for example, we were to start massively creating simulations in the year 2050, there could be a risk of termination around that point, as there could be a jump in our simulation's required processing power.[8]
    Economist Robin Hanson argues a self-interested high-fidelity Sim should strive to be entertaining and praiseworthy in order to avoid being turned off or being shunted into a non-conscious low-fidelity part of the simulation. Hanson additionally speculates that someone aware he might be a Sim, might care less about others and live more for today: "your motivation to save for retirement, or to help the poor in Ethiopia, might be muted by realizing that in your simulation, you will never retire and there is no Ethiopia."[9]
    Testing the hypothesis physically[edit]
    A long-shot method to test one type of simulation hypothesis was proposed in 2012 in a joint paper by physicists Silas R. Beane from the University of Bonn (now at the University of Washington, Seattle), and Zohreh Davoudi and Martin J. Savage from the University of Washington, Seattle.[10] Under the assumption of finite computational resources, the simulation of the universe would be performed by dividing the continuum space-time into a discrete set of points. In analogy with the mini-simulations that lattice-gauge theorists run today to build up nuclei from the underlying theory of strong interactions (known as Quantum chromodynamics), several observational consequences of a grid-like space-time have been studied in their work. Among proposed signatures is an anisotropy in the distribution of ultra-high-energy cosmic rays, that, if observed, would be consistent with the simulation hypothesis according to these physicists (but, of course, would not prove that the universe is a simulation). A multitude of physical observables must be explored before any such scenario could be accepted or rejected as a theory of nature.[11]
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

whoa i know kung fu

• Simon
    Simon

Someone needs to go watch The Thirteenth Floor movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/

That's the same basic premise.

There are actually people studying the science of this to look for giveaways that we are in a simulation. If it's true, I'm working on what I call my Sophia Vergara hack.

• kairos
    kairos

If they had an indistinguishable from reality HD/VR of the "SIMS" or a fantasy island/holodeck simulator, how would you know if you were still playing the game or not?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I think having all those billions at a young age has stripped him of any meaning to life and whilst the simulation idea has passed thru many of our minds we dont have almost limitless resources to throw at taking it seriously, but because Musk can, he does.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@ Barrold Bonds: "Show me."

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Were we in a computer simulation before computers were invented?

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Maybe I will watch that later, Brokeback.

I want to say that it doesn't matter. The vast majority of us are not going to live carefully(strive to be entertaining and praiseworthy ) just in case we are in a simulation. So all I know is this life, real or not. It feels real, so I have to live as if it is.

Another obscure philosophy is that I am real and you all are simulations to distract me. Or perhaps I am a brain in a vat and you all are just electronic stimulation to my brain.

YADDA YADDA YADDA.

In all these cases, I must live as if it is all real and not worry about such things.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sounds like a good argument for God to me.

Heidegger was right that existence and consciousness are linked in a deeply mysterious way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit