Are we in a computer simulation?

by Brokeback Watchtower 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The problem with the simulation hypothesis is that it is very hard to test. We haven't found any evidence that there is an external entity changing or suspending the laws of the Universe which is probably the first thing scientists with a simulation would do. There are also the questions as to what a basic requirements of a simulation would be or what makes up the 'data'.

We can only imagine what a simulator would look like to the extent that we are limited only by our own capabilities. Nobody would be able to imagine an electric lamp or calculator in the 1700s. They were sure thinking about a way of doing those things but running current through a wire didn't go through their brains. We are starting to understand quantum physics but we have no practical applications for it so it's hard to say whether it is a 'basic building block', something that relies on something else we haven't found yet (one time we thought grains of sand and later on atoms were the smallest thing in the Universe) or evidence of a simulation.

As far as Musk's assertion, he has no leg to stand on, that's just his hypothesis and he hasn't formally stated a way of testing the hypothesis so it's just as much meaningless as people stating there is a particular deity that does things for us.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I think the breaking down of the smallest units of our universe into bits of information of a 1 & 0 to be a big indicator for a simulation and since everything is a hologram of a 1 dimensional program intriguing. Any here's to the study of black holes and other exotic stuff our universe.

• jp1692
    jp1692

This thread is just a reboot of one by Brokeback Watchtower from a couple of years ago:

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I think this has some very interesting arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZU-QDeol40

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • Brokeback Watchtower
  • jp1692
    jp1692

If you'll excuse me, I have to go reboot the Universe. I don't like how this one is turning out.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Hey could happen but since time moves so much faster in a simulation it make take billions of our years to feel the effects. And if time, the past predicts the future and the future predicts the past you just might be turning on the simulation in theirs/ours.

• Brokeback Watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit