20 Things I Don't Understand about Jehovah's Witnesses

by Vanderhoven7 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Wonderment

Great idea!

My problem is time. I am working on my second book, "Good News For Jehovah’s Witnesses ".

But perhaps someone would take up that challenge if it has not already been done.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Very Critical Thinking Questions!

• waton
    waton
    that the 1914 generation will not pass away when babies born in 1914 are 108 years old today?

6a. to not pass away you have to be a baptized, time reporting witness, with 15 minutes per month minimum.

born in 1914, baptized as consenting adults would be 1o8+ years old today. Are there more than 2 million or any 1o8+ year old in the congregations today? will there be over 2 million such 120 year olds in 1934

6b there will be 2 million 100 year old overlappers in 2075?

• waton
    waton

6c. The generation of 1914 (the anointed) will pass away at the outset of the great Tribulation.

scripture: that will not happen until after armageddon. In the first century, the last witnesses died 32+ years after the fall of Jerusalem.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    JW lives have been endangered and lost due to medical prohibitions (vaccinations...

Well now, they sure reversed course on this one, eh?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What is your first book?

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

Vanderhoven7, you have been out for about 12 years, is that correct? I ask sincerely, why are you trying to understand these things? JW theology is just made-up nonsense based on cherry-picking proof texts and bad exegesis. Debunk it, yes, but why try to understand it? I have found it far more enjoyable to study the Bible from the historical-critical viewpoint and learn about comparative mythology, rather than trying to work out so-called proper beliefs and dogma. Given that the Bible is not an inspired collection of books, and the canon we have was never meant to make sense as one unified collection, this is an exercise in eternal frustration! I think you will find far more richness in the Bible if you let go of trying to see it through a Christian faith lens and enjoy it for what it is.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    the "7 trumpets of Revelation chapters 8 - 11" were 7 talks given at Bible Student conventions in the 1920s.

As I recall, all in a different order to scripture.

The idea that a random bit of Revelation refers to some drunken old narcissist Yank gobbing off like a raving looney, in a forest is risible at the very least.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    Fisherman: JW have erred in interpreting the year of the great tribulation but not in interpreting prophecy or scriptures relating to the time of the end

But they did get those dates wrong. Wasn't it at the 1922 convention that Rutherford was still pushing the relevance of dates like 1799, 1844, and 1874? Didn't Russell believe that 1914 would be the end of mankind's rule, and that Christ had taken his heavenly throne in 1874?

If Russell originally stated that 1914 was the actual end of the old world, then the present claim that he always identified it as the year of Christ's heavenly coronation is false. It is a lie that is adhered to in order to support a narrative history that is itself a lie. I don't see how that can be reconciled.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Doubtfull1799

My Dad followed the Witnesses for about 5 years, had questions which irritated the elders to the point that the PO choked him and demanded to know if he was trying to destroy his faith. That's when my Dad realized the religion was false and left the organization. All to say that I never became a Witness.

I listed what I don't understand about Watchtower religion to encourage Witnesses in a non-threatening way to explain/justify their beliefs...in the hope that some might see there real problems with their religion.

@Slim

My first book is entitled, "Eternal Torment- Image and Reality" available at Amazon Books.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eternal-Torment-Critical-Assessment-Traditional/dp/1795612878

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit