The making of a public announcement is where I think the WTS crosses over into the instigation of hatred and prejudices onto someone though.
While I agree with that........... another serious problem is the over reach the WTBTS uses in conflating minor issue's with larger ones. There by increasing the intensity of the level of shunning.
jwfacts.com-- "The 2010 Elder's handbook titled "Shepherd the Flock of God" includes Chapter 5, "Determining Whether a Judicial Committee Should Be Formed." This extends from pages 58 to 79 and lists reasons for which a person can be disfellowshipped. Page 58 clarifies that "This list is not comprehensive. There may be other matters that would also merit the attention of a judicial committee."
"Watchtower claims that disfellowshipping only occurs to those that commit serious sins and are unrepentant:
"Two factors — which must coincide — result in the disfellowshipping of one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. First, a baptized Witness commits a serious sin. Second, he does not repent of his sin." Watchtower 2015 Apr 15 p.29
JWfacts....."Whilst this may appease the conscience of Jehovah's Witnesses shunning loved ones, it is not realistic. Examining the list of offences reveals a number of areas hardly serious enough to merit complete isolation."
- Associating with disfellowshipped people including;
- Friends - ks91-E p.103, w81 9/15 pp.25-6, w55 10/1 p.607
- Family - ks91-E p.103
- unnecessary association with disfellowshipped nonrelatives.
pursue a romantic relationship with a person though not legally or Scripturally free to marry
- - stayed all night in the same house with a person of the opposite sex (or in the same house with a known homosexual) under improper circumstances
- Celebrating false religious holidays
- Deliberately spreading teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses
- "Artificial insemination of a married woman by a donor other than her husband makes her guilty of adultery" g74 8/8 p.28
Loose conduct :
- "True Christians, therefore, avoid surrogate motherhood as well as any procedures that involve the use of donated sperm, eggs, or embryos" g04 9/22;
- Disrespect, disregard or even contempt for standards, laws and authority, "disrespect to Elders".
- Porneia. Includes oral and anal sex between married couples, mutual masturbation between persons not married to each other, homosexuality, lesbianism, fornication, adultery, incest, and bestiality. - ks91-E p.93
Disassociating from this religion is placed on the same as sexual child abuse, murder, and every other criminal offense.
In my opinion shunning is greatly abused and over used by the WTBTS
The JW system is used to keep control of it's members no matter what intrusive beliefs they must endure. To ensure obedience and independent thinking.
In this respect it subverts the 1st amendment.
To be able to have freedom of religion......... by implication...... freedom from religion must also be a right.
The best way to deal with this issue is to expose it for what it is...... a way to control their followers and punish those who disagree with it.