We're currently watching Leah Remini's series about scientology and the main thing she seems to focus on is the shunning policies of the scientology organization which let's face it are very similar to JW procedure.
I Was wondering with all that's in the media recently about bullying could a petition be put together to get the goverment to consider making religiously mandated shunning illegal? Has such a thing been tried before?
https://petition.parliament.uk/help says the following -
How petitions work
- You create a petition. Only British citizens and UK residents can create or sign a petition.
- You get 5 people to support your petition. We’ll tell you how to do this when you’ve created your petition.
- We check your petition, then publish it. We only reject petitions that don’t meet the standards for petitions.
- The Petitions Committee reviews all petitions we publish. They select petitions of interest to find out more about the issues raised. They have the power to press for action from government or Parliament.
- At 10,000 signatures you get a response from the government.
- At 100,000 signatures your petition will be considered for a debate in Parliament.
100,000 is a lot but with a website and some media attention it could be possible and maybe wouldn't need that many signatures anyway. Given that shunning for apostacy is often a blatant violation of the human rights agenda I've wondered how organizations like watchtower get away with their policies in the 21st century, ideas anyone?