Could a petition to make shunning illegal work?

by aboveusonlysky 115 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

This O.P was started only 24 hours ago and has 89 replies.

Why?

My guess is shunning is a touchy and sensitive subject, particularly if we come from " God's organisation" and have grown up to believe shunning is acceptable behavior.

Anyway I have posted 1489 times on this site, and never used the word " fuck," but if shunning permeates tenderness and fatherly impulses I as a father of a 12 year son will use that " f" word again

In conclusion does a father really need a law to prevent him shunning a son?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Does a father really need a law to prevent him shunning a son?

This made me pause and think this morning. Back when I was fully into it, I never would have entirely shunned my family the way that the watchtower expect me to.

And yet… long time ago, my sister was disfellowshipped (numerous times) and I didn’t shun her outright. Still, I did greatly limit my contacts with her under pressure from the Elders. Then, she died (she was only 25). Now, I live with regrets. Regrets that, when I was sat down in front of two elders to explain why I still kept contact with my sister, I didn’t simply walk away.

But how could I? I believed that God was behind the organization. Even if I knew that what was happening was wrong, I thought that God would make it right in the end. Armageddon was so close…

Though I am glad I did not entirely shun my sister, I have lost precious moments that I will never be able to share with her ever again.

Some people believe that stoning, slavery, polygamy is their religious right and yet, the law does not tolerate these armful teachings. Same should go with shunning.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Simon: It seems a stretch to make arranging something that isn't illegal into an act that is illegal. Like having BBQ is fine but organizing a BBQ ... "hands up criminal scum!"

There are things that when done alone pose no problem, but are regulated when done in large groups. For instance, in Canada, someone can walk anywhere in town with a billboard and protest on the subject of his choice. However, if a large group does the same thing, they must give their time and trajectory they will take to the police ahead of time, otherwise, it will be deemed illegal. Being shunned by some friends or some of your family can hurt. However, being shunned by everyone you ever loved can be hurtful to such an extent that some will even commit suicide.

When exactly do they tell everyone to shun someone? Specifically, "you must shun Mr Whoever". Because all they do is announce that someone is no longer a JW ... which they are not, because they have the right to withdraw that membership status.

I know you are playing devil's advocate here, however, you must acknowledge that these are word games that can easily be exposed to a jury. They regularly tell everyone to shun those "who are no longer JWs". I'm willing to say that they have the right to urge people to do that, but that it should be left to each individual's conscience.

Forcing it upon them ... how? [...] All they have to do is claim what they would - that it's meant as a reproof to correct someone's dangerous behavior and / or as a protection to the rest of the congregation from such behavior and oh dear, your prosecution just evaporated in a cloud of doubt.

Actually, just the opposite! Reproof implies punishment, to cause arm (in varying degree) in order to force someone to comply with a rule. Hence, people will do things taking into account their fear of the punishment at hand. This is exactly what I believe should be deemed illegal: Reproof, discipline, punishment or any type of consequence, brought about by an institution, in response to someone's choice of association.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Reproof, discipline, punishment or any type of consequence, brought about by an institution, in response to someone's choice of association.

Yes, I know, this might pose problems in work related aspects. For instance, a cop could not be seen fraternising on a regular basis with known gang members. However, there is a world of difference between loosing your job and loosing your friends.

Dam... this complicate things... I will really have to think about this one further...

• Simon
    Simon
    In conclusion does a father really need a law to prevent him shunning a son?

I believe it really comes down to a choice between "who do you love more". Do you care about your relationship with [whoever] or with the elders / the WTS.

Some people make the wrong choice for the best of reasons and regret it. I can totally understand why people don't want to acknowledge the reality that their protests of "the WTS made me do it" may not be 100% valid. It's harder to accept that "no, I did that, it was wrong and I'm ashamed".

I think if we go along with the idea that "the WTS can make you do it" it plays into the WTS hands of making it easier for people to do and thus more likely and more effective. Instead we should be telling people that "you, YOU are choosing to do this and it's unkind and you will feel bad WHEN you realize the truth".

It removes the illusion of WTS control and reminds people that they don't need to be controlled.

There are things that when done alone pose no problem, but are regulated when done in large groups. For instance, in Canada, someone can walk anywhere in town with a billboard and protest on the subject of his choice. However, if a large group does the same thing, they must give their time and trajectory they will take to the police ahead of time, otherwise, it will be deemed illegal

I think that is the case of having a law purely for practical purposes. Having a large group march in a field somewhere is fine and no one is going to be arrested.

I know you are playing devil's advocate here, however, you must acknowledge that these are word games that can easily be exposed to a jury.

Yes, but to a jury who doesn't know the ins and outs of things it will be convincing. Also, way before it gets to a jury it has to gain support through media representations to politicians and the electorate. I don't think the media is capable of explaining it or could be bothered ... where's the blood? They're not interested.

However, being shunned by everyone you ever loved can be hurtful to such an extent that some will even commit suicide.

That isn't enough to make something illegal. There are lots of things that "cause" people to commit suicide - relationship breakups for example, but we could never make those illegal simply because of that.

For instance, a cop could not be seen fraternising on a regular basis with known gang members. However, there is a world of difference between loosing your job and loosing your friends.
    Dam... this complicate things... I will really have to think about this one further.

That's the issue. Take what people are suggesting and then apply that same law to other situations. If you can come up with bizarre cases then it wouldn't work as a law.

Imagine a teacher caught visiting a brothel and / or hanging around with drug dealers. Should the school be allowed to fire them? Should the teacher then be allowed to sue the school and have the principal arrested?

Laws have to have clear benefit and not rely on vague notions of "we'd only use it where it was intended". The intention has to be codified and it can't call out specific groups. If the law relies on saying "Jehovahs Witnesses can't ..." then it would never pass.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver
    I know that people will say that this is a strawman argument but it is something to think about. Look at a few months ago a man in Australia was put on trial for child abuse and was found not guilty. That man was disfellowshipped from the congregation prior to the trial. So if there was no disfellowshipping then that man would still be in good standing in the congregation. So you have to be careful how you want to deal with a situation and the unintended consequences.
  • Simon
    Simon

Well in future, he'd be able to sue the congregation and have the elders arrested for kicking him out and the parents in the congregation wouldn't be able to shun him in any way.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If the law relies on saying "Jehovah's Witnesses can't ..." then it would never pass.

Agree with that, there has to be something in more broader terms that would relate to all religoius based institutions.

There is point of when someone says they dont wont to be involved and they go off quietly about it (myself) and there are those who leave but are aggressively loud against the organization's doctrines.

The making of a public announcement is where I think the WTS crosses over into the instigation of hatred and prejudices onto someone though.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Richard Oliver: So if there was no disfellowshipping then that man would still be in good standing in the congregation.

Its not disfellowshipping (excommunication) I have a problem with, it is the mandatory shunning of the xJW (both Disassociated and disfellowship).

Finkelstein: there has to be something in more broader terms that would relate to all religoius based institutions.

The broader you get, the more room there is for inappropriate and abusive enforcement of the law. I have to say that that at this point in the thread.. I have switched sides! I acknowledge that legislation of this aberration would potentially make matters worst for everyone. Let's be rational: In canada, there are 100 000 JWs for 32 million civilians. Bring a law to save the JW kids would probably end up causing issues to more civilians than there were victims in the JWs in the first place.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Bring a law to save the JW kids would probably end up causing issues to more civilians than there were victims in the JWs in the first place.

I would have to disagree with that assertion based on the fact that most religions do not openly and publicly chastise people who leave or are slightly vocal about the doctrines and practices of their religion.

It would give religious organizations a formative guideline on how to handle people who volunteer to leave on their own accord.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit