Serious Concerns About Asparagus

by JamesThomas 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Does anyone else have problems with this little vegetable? If you do, you'll know what I'm referring to. They say it's a heredity thing. Something to do with a missing enzyme.

I'm different, and so are some of you. Perhaps we're of a different species, not originally of this world, a place where asparagus never grew. I can't believe there is an enzyme specific only to asparagus. Does this missing part effect us in other ways? Anyone hear of anything? Perhaps this is the reason my spelling is so atrocious. Or why I don't like to wear underwear. Or why people look at me weird. Is it all because I'm missing a critical thingy? Maybe we should all be tested. You know have us eat asparagus and then pee in a cup. And those of us who don't pass have to wear a special wrist bracelet or have a big "A" tattooed on our forehead. "Oh Gawd! Look Mommy it's one of them!...let's cross the street before they get any closer -- hurry!"The Enzyme". Then we would all know who we are. Should us Unenzymes be thinking of starting a global movement. Should we be preparing to take over the world? Or should we be packing? Preparing to be picked up by the Mother-ship? I think it's time. But, I'm not sure for what. JamesT

• Englishman
    Englishman

James Thomas,

I grow asparagus in my garden. Hl and myself are very partial to it, especially steamed and then eaten with lashings of Hollandaise sauce.

But, the thing with asparagus is that it makes your pee smell funny. Bloody awful actually. Also, asparagus beetle can be a problem as it just nibbles at the furry bits and leaves girt great 'oles.

£1. 59 in Tesco's for a bundle of 10 or so. Snap of the base where it goes earthy, steam for around 10 minutes, yumm! Excellent with sirloin and mushrooms.

Englishman.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've never experienced asparagus-induced toxic urination fumes. Is it that bad?

• Celia
    Celia

I have a bed of asparagus in my garden too. One of my favorite vegetables. But I love all vegetables, particularly artichokes, spinach, cauliflower, zucchini.... Yum...

I must say I prefer the white asparagus, but it is too complicated to grow them. I like them warm with butter, or cold with mayonnaise (homemade).... getting hungry here...

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I just read this article. It seems us with the seeming "problem", are the ones with the enzyme. This just blew my theories all to hell. Or not. I just have to change a couple words.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/43/1671_51089

By Elizabeth Somer, MA,RD
    I love asparagus, but I notice it makes my urine smell funny. What's going on?

Aug. 14, 2000 -- You may have heard the tall tale that "asparagus urine" is linked to higher intelligence. In fact, it's the result of a simple chemical reaction. Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called mercaptan. (It's also found in rotten eggs, onions, garlic, and in the secretions of skunks.) When your digestive tract breaks down this substance, by-products are released that cause the funny scent. The process is so quick that your urine can develop the distinctive smell within 15 to 30 minutes of eating asparagus.

But not everyone has this experience. Your genetic makeup may determine whether your urine has the odor -- or whether you can actually smell it. Only some people appear to have the gene for the enzyme that breaks down mercaptan into its more pungent parts. A study published in the May 1989 British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology found that 46% of 115 people tested produced the odor in one group of British citizens, while 100% of 103 people produced it in a group of French citizens. The ability to smell the by-products may also be genetic. Another study published in the same journal found that 10% of a group of 300 Israeli Jews could not detect the odor. In other words, a person's urine could smell, but he or she might not know it. Judging from your question, you can do both. But that's nothing to worry about.

While eating asparagus may make your urine smell strange, it won't harm you. Actually, asparagus -- a member of the lily family along with garlic, onions, and leeks -- is a powerhouse of nutrients. It's an excellent source of folic acid (a B vitamin that may help protect against birth defects, heart disease, and cancer), a significant source of vitamin C (an antioxidant that may protect tissues against damage), and a good source of vitamin A (an antioxidant). Not to mention that asparagus contains 3 grams of fiber per 3.5-ounce serving and a host of health-enhancing plant chemicals, or phytonutrients, that may protect against disease.

Although the link between "asparagus urine" and higher intelligence is a figment of someone's imagination, eating it regularly could be a sign of some serious health smarts.

Elizabeth Somer, MA, RD, is the author of Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy, Food & Mood and The Essential Guide to Vitamins and Minerals, and co-author of The Nutrition Desk Reference. An advisory board member to Shape and a contributing editor to Eating Well magazine, she has appeared on The Today Show, The View, CBS This Morning, and other television and radio programs.

• teejay
    teejay

JT,

I've always wondered about asparagus. I've seen it on the table, but as far as I know, I've never partaken. It reminded me too much of that seed pod that was in that movie. "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." When you think about it, it *does* look a bit other-worldly. I'll take green beans and cucumbers and, if i have to I'll choke down some broccolli. But you can keep the asparagus, thank-you.

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Oops...I thought this might be a thread about how the WTS condemns asparagus 'cause playing squat tag in an asparagus patch can cause one to lose one's virginity.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

The joint is lonely at night. For the first time I felt the lonliness of prison and bitterness welled up in my soul.

I didn't do it. I was framed. Damn cops. They can take their blood test and their DNA test and shove it. They said I kidnapped that woman, dressed up her like Nancy Reagan and made her sing "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" to the asparagus at the local Safeway while she spanked me.

But they're wrong. It wasn't me.

It was the pod people. I know they live inside the asparagus waiting for us to fall asleep. Then the asparagus opens and then ...

I squeezed my eyes shut. The memory was just too horrible for me.

"Banking!" I said, "Not spanking!! I told her I'm in banking!"

But it was too late. The cops were beyond listening now.

Damn asparagus.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I have no idea why a post on toxic asparagus gas would cause so much insanity. I just want to know are us people with the gene that produces The Enzyme, the superior race or is it you folks with the missing thingy? And does this have anything to do with an aversion to wearing underwear? Jeeze, can't a person have a serious conversation on this board? JamesT

• mustang
    mustang

I was expecting this was where you were going

Last year, the Asian supermarket my better half likes ran asparagus on sale, at less than half price of other places. So, we had lots of it. I like it with Ranch Dressing.

The first time, no big deal. But the second or third time, I noticed it. It was disconcerting, as I recollected reading that diabetics would produce acetone under some chemical distress conditions of their illness.

But then I recalled that all the testing that I had been through for recent major surgery had covered diabetes about a dozen times. So, I just shrugged it off.

Then I was reading a book on nutrition by a doctor who specialized in minerals. His theme was that all minerals were overlooked. Sure enough, he mentioned asparagus, the sulfur byproducts, their composition and the strange smell. He noted that it was a harmless curiosity. So, I breathed a sigh of relief

Our bodies are quite the chemical factory!!!

BTW, the genes and nationalities you mentioned make for another strangeness: my ancestors were French!!! That is uncanny.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit