What was your first public bible reading? And when?

by Mandrake 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

I perfectly remember that, rehearsing with mom, trying to read with enough emphasis and in a proper tone. I was 5 years old, back then in 1996 I think, and the portion was James 5:1-13...

I found today that I still know the first verses by heart!!! It's actually a cherished memory for me, I came to memorize those because mom had me starting the reading all over again until I got to read it properly... And in time!!! I remember also that at that time it was not only a mere reading, you had to write a little comment about it all. Mom has recently got out of the JW-dom completely, so all that seems even more distant in space and time and somehow I'm getting a very melancholic feeling about it!

what was your experience?

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

Eccl 12:

1972 - While on Unassigned Territory in a little country town - We had hired the town hall for the meetings as the turnout was so well supported [Pre 1975] and to be very frank it was a wonderful long weekend away -

My School counsellor at that meeting and I became life time friends due to having a lot of secular interests in common eg Jazz Music and Electronics and high-quality audio systems. [ I still play vinyl] - It will remain etched in my book of Life and as with yourself, I can recite the entire chapter - Of course now at 60 the passage has much more relevance ! lol

It was his friendship and counselling manner [he is a brilliant teacher / lecturer] that inspired me to pursue the my school assignments very seriously and after 15 years as the TMS Overseer, my experience gained has enabled me to now earn a professional living from that experience. So it is one thing I can say I gained from my 50 years in the cult !

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I was about 8 it came from Micah, hated every second of doing it, the after the next couple I would stand with my head in my hands mumbling incoherently down to the floor, needless to say I wasn't given any more.
  • mikeypants
    mikeypants

The words of Jeremiah the words of Hilkiah one of the priests that were in Anothoth in the land of Benjamin,,,

Jeremiah 1: 1-19

I still remember the opening verse... I was 12, maybe 13 when I gave my first talk...I'm 37 now... seems not so long ago.

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

It seems that these first time assignments left they mark on us! So sad It was a bit traumatic for you jookbread...

In time it seems that the ability to speak in public and other oratory skills are of the very few thinks I thank my JW upbringing, As zappa-esque noticed also

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think when I joined it wasn't just reading it was a talk. 1966. I vaguely remember. Always hated the school and was part of it intermittently over the following 30 years. For the first 20 years I always got a g then I started getting wig then last few talks w and the last talk I wrote for my wife the elder had to explain afterward that we don't earn our salvation its a gift. Another w.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Mine was in 1955. I was 8 yo. It was in 1 Kings and I read it so many times that I nearly memorized it. Spent the next 5 decades diligently teaching others about shit that is no longer the "truth". Lesson learned. TTATT freed me and it feels good.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    When I started, about '67 or '68, the 'beginner's talk', I think it was #2 then, was a regular talk, not a reading. My first one was about the 'Grapes of Wrath' in Revelation. Hilarious now, when you think of it, that a first grade kid would have to speak on such a subject for six minutes.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I was nine years old and just joined the school, I got assigned a portion of 1 Corinthians, went pretty smoothly except I left off a verse at the end. If I remember correctly in those days you had to do a small introduction before you began your reading which later they dropped.
  • DisArmed
    DisArmed
    One of the few memories from Wally World that makes me smile when I think about it. I was the first in my family to give any kind of talk on TMS. Evidently I had never witnessed anyone giving a first talk. It was customary in those days (not sure about now) for the audience to applaud for one's first talk. It surprised me, I couldn't figure out why everyone was clapping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit