What an Anointed sister Said to me…

by Cassandra Cain 53 Replies latest jw friends

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

What amazes me is how some of you can turn something so inocent and turn it into an excuse to criticize the Organization!

• blondie
    blondie

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy whether it be in small things or big things.

Blondie

• amac
    amac

Blondie,

We didn't move around much, so over a near 30 year span, I only attended 6 congos. But for each congo, I've had friends in neighboring congos that did similar things.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, amac, how long ago was that? Large gatherings have gone the way of food at the assemblies. People are even afraid to have congregation picnics. They do, but someone in the congregation has to host it and take responsibility and they can't call it a "congregation" picnic. They even are afraid to get a a game of baseball.

Blondie

• undercover
    undercover
    Every congo I've ever been in has had their own talent shows and gatherings. Why shouldn't those poor midwestern boys at Bethel get to do that too, if they really want to?

Large gatherings are discouraged by the WTS. "Congregation picnics" cannot be endorsed by the "congregation". Some one person has to take "responsibility". Locally where I lived once, talent shows were banned because the "talented ones" asked for donations to help pay for the rental of the facility. The elders thought they were trying to make money. Costume parties were banned. I don't remember the reason. Pick-up football games were discouraged. Somebody "might" get hurt. Group of brothers had motorcycles and would go riding together on weekends. That got squashed too. Worldly people might think that they were a MC gang.

What it boils down to is, "you can't do this and you can't do that. But since we are in God's house doing his work and we have made more sacrifices than you, we can do this though we have told you that it shouldn't be done." Very hypocritical. Who was in charge? Who was responsible? Who endorsed it? Was is on WTS property? Don't tell me I can't do something and then turn around and do it yourself. I take offense at that. I am not a child and I refuse to let someone tell me I can or can't do something that any responsible adult should be able to decide for themselves.

• undercover
    undercover
    What amazes me is how some of you can turn something so inocent and turn it into an excuse to criticize the Organization!

See my post above and you'll see why it can be criticized. I'm not condemning them or claiming that they are in violation of Bible teaching but I can criticize it with good reason.

• amac
    amac
    how long ago was that?

That's up to current day as I still attend the occasional meeting to make other people happy. The local congregation has many "large" gatherings. I'm not sure where you and undercover are from, but maybe it is the difference between the west coast and the midwest or something similar to that.

• blondie
    blondie

That explains it then, amac. The west coast congregations have had a reputation of being to get away with murder because the west coast in general has a reputation for being "out there." At Bethel it was said that the further away (in general) you got from Bethel, the wilder the congregations. The midwest is very, very conservative. You would have to go to Chicago to find an area that might allow such parties or get-togethers. Each elder body makes the decision so it doesn't matter if 1500 congregations out west do it, it won't be done here.

There used to be costume parties, congregation picnics, talent shows, going-away parties, rollerskating, ice skating parties,etc. They had a part last year on the circuit assembly about advertising parties with flyers and keeping it secret, charging to attend, having people from several circuits attending, etc. The CO was livid. I could almost feel the spit where I was sitting 30 rows away. People were afraid to even have a graduation party for the teenagers after that. The elders did not want to go up against the CO and the new CO is not much better. I wonder if the elders in your area have had the CO/DO in their face about this or have they been part of the process?

It is too bad because those parties were fun and many more young people stayed in the WTS compared to now. The teenagers of today felt bad when I reminisced about those days.

Blondie

• shamus
    shamus

Bored of Jah-

Nice to see you again! How are things?

If you don't like things here, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!

Love,

Brian.

• shamus
    shamus

Bored of Jah-

Nice to see you again! How are things?

If you don't like things here, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!

Love,

Brian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit