June 2003 KM- 'Should Christians Use Slang?'

by Funchback 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Funchback
    Funchback

1 Slang has been defined as 'facetious figures of speech'. When used improperly, it may cause embarassment and confusion to an individual. It may even stumble those 'who have ears' that listen.Yes, prayerful consideration is needed before one lets a word utter forth from his mouth.

2 It has been said that in Nebraska (USA) a male co-worker said to another co-worker that a female co-worker was "drop-dead beautiful". However, in passing, the woman thought she heard the man say, "Drop dead, beautiful!". Sadly, the woman eventually died as a direct result of that misinterpreted slang. (*Footnote: This event occurred in 1942 but the woman did eventually die in 1997 at the age of 86).

3 Would it be appropriate to substitute the word "john" for "toilet"? Well, perhaps you can ask a man named John if HE would like to be called "Toilet". Even as true Christians, using the term "brother" or "sister" to those related to us in the faith can be disheartening ESPECIALLY to those who are the only child. In fact, Jesus was the only child. Do you see the wise counsel?

4 In conclusion, the word slang is found in the dictionary immediately after the word 'slander'. We all know who the Master Slanderer is, do we not? We can only conclude that the word 'slang' is derived from the word 'slander' and must therefore be avoided altogether lest we choose to slave for two masters.

• Soledad
    Soledad

ok so let me get this straight: slang can make you drop dead of old age, get you named after a stinky

bathroom fixture, and derives from the devil?? WTF????

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

you mean 'slang' like:

New World, annointed remnant, slave class, other sheep, great crowd, Babylon the Great, publishers, pioneers, bethelites, POs-COs-DOs, RVs, NotAtHomes, Sheep/goats, memorial, Kingdom Halls, Assembly halls, new releases, new light, old light, jonadabs, truth book, anglo-american dual world power, worldly people, christendom, car-groups, service bags, magazine routes.........

Ravyn (actually having a hard time remembering all the lingo that was totally useless outside of the Borg....YAY! that's a GOOD thing!)

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Slang has been defined as 'facetious figures of speech'. When used improperly, it may cause embarassment and confusion to an individual.

It certainly does.Take slang out of dubland and the average person just might be able to understand what in-the-hell they are talking about.

I will posit that if slang was taken out of dubland and particularly at the Kingdumb Halls, dubs wouldn't have a single thing to talk about.

It's embarrassing, alright. For the dubs, that is. They brought their own version of slang to a new art form.

Farkel

• LDH
    LDH

LMAO @ Funch.

So good to have you back.

WHOOSH (The sound of this post going over some people's head, LOL)

Lisa

• shamus
    shamus

Are you serious?????? SLANG IS RIGHT AFTER SLANDER....... SERIOUSLY NOW... WTF?>????? I thought that I heard everything..... Oh my goodness... they are worse than a sack of bent nails.....

• riz
    riz

LOL good one, Funch!! # 4 is classic. I think you have a seat waiting for you in the writing department.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    using the term "brother" or "sister" to those related to us in the faith can be disheartening ESPECIALLY to those who are the only child.

Hehe -- JW's, the ultimate land of confusion. This is funny stuff.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    'Should Christians Use Slang?

Does slang suck? - farkel me grandmother with a rolled up Awake! it does! The Society's right - It should be banned along with sleazey sisters in lowcut dresses trying to lead men to their destruction, smutty licentiousness flirting cow eyed girls with smoldering passions barely covered by a new world tranny. I say we scrub the JW brain with a good dose of Revelation, ban readings from Song of Solomon and anything else that detracts from Watchtower Company Policy. Let 'em all learn to talk good and proper like me and farkel.

Yes, prayerful consideration is needed before one lets a word utter forth from his mouth.

'uck'n oath mate. Buggered if i know why in johnadubs name a practising Christian would use modern speak like "may I insert this multi-threaded search engine hard driver" or call a mobile phone a "vibrating personal software interface" - it's so disgusting!!!!

unclebruce

ps: really though, i'd prefer it if christians pulled their heads in so far they couldn't talk at all

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I was walking down the frog and toad to the pouring rain with me Dutchess this morning, and we was going up the apples and pears when this geezer wearing a ridiculous titfa goes on by. I says to me Dutchess, "Oi! me old china, don't he look like the most enormous merchant banker you've ever seen". Well, she say to me, "You're bleeding Radio Rentals you are". She's always in a lousy dot cotton mood in the morning, so she is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit