by Funchback 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Brummie
    Brummie
    It may even stumble those 'who have ears'

LOL

Hilarious Funchback!

• blondie
    blondie

Brother Tom was visiting Brother John. Brother Tom said, "Great meal. I was wondering where the john is?" Brother John said, "Our Tommy is down the hall and to the right."

I guess that can bother some people.

I can remember the talks about this in my younger years during the "hippie" era; remember "groovy"? Each generation grows up and the new one has its own vocabulary. It's amazing that the WTS even has the word police.

Here are some quotes over the years regarding 'worldly' slang.

Have you picked up some of the jargon or slang of this world? Do you have two vocabularies, one for use among Christians, the other for use elsewhere? Paul wrote: "Let a rotten saying not proceed out of your mouth, but whatever saying is good for building up as the need may be, that it may impart what is favorable to the hearers." (Ephesians 4:29)
    Children are not born with vulgar speech, but without home training they soon adopt ‘gutter slang’ as part of their everyday vocabulary.
    Profanity does not add to one’s Christian growth, nor do slang expressions. Vulgar expressions are becoming common. Words once used only by degenerates are now used by some persons in all grades of society.
    And to the consternation of parents and teachers, nonwords such as "yo!" and "dis"—the abrasive street slang glorified in rap—have crept into everyday speech.

Blondie
  • rocketman
    rocketman

Funchback, are you actually quoting from the KM? While it seems the first paragraph, and maybe the last, might be something they'd write, I'm not sure about the stuff in between.

No matter. As the quotes that Blondie posted illustrate, they once again comment on stuff better left alone. I can see the harm in vulgarity, but I'm not so sure about some common slang.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The first post in this thread was a satire. But it does sound almost real, doesn't it?

• Columbo
    Columbo

Wow, had me going there for a minute!

• blondie
    blondie

I knew it was bogus; but sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. Who would of thought that the WTS counseled against tight underwear.

Blondie

• Faraon
    Faraon

Funchback,

You almost had me going there except that you forgot to include the Minimum Required Dose of three NWT verses per paragraph. You almost made it by citing obscure references, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit