I’m a current elder ex bethel in London

by Mikejw 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

I was in Bethel for years early 2000s and was heavily involved with BRD from start to finish

im current elder in one of the congregations in London

what I’ve noticed is huge changes since covid

we have had quite a few in our cong who have faded or part faded and sometimes come on zoom but without camera

some have confused the BOE as to where they live or what is going on in their lives

i can’t see how anyone should get announced that they are no longer a JW and have all the shunning, now it’s so easy to fade and once you are not known as a JW you don’t need to be shunned and all that jazz

i feel very strongly that come meeting times it’s so easy to jump on zoom in your comfortable PJs and same really with the ministry it’s a good chance to chat and have nice association but hardly any letters are written anymore

we all just go on for a chat and a catch up

im not looking forward to going on the door to door this September

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

Just out of interest is there anyone else here who was in London bethel early 2000s or who spent any time on BRD the last few years?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

welcome to the forum.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I have never been DF nor DA. I faded... until someone in my family started a rumor and my entire family that is in has shunned me ever since. That was over 25 years ago. I would guess that people monitoring each other and shunning based on 'one's conscience' and rumors and gossip are still very much a part of the JWs even with COVID and Zoom meetings.

It was always easy to fade.... until someone took a persona interest and made it difficult and I am guessing that is still the case.

Oh, but welcome to the group!

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

Welcome Mike. I left Watchtower long before you went to Bethel. My thoughts are that Covid changed everything for the JWs. Taking a break from the constant busy-work of meetings gave people time to think on their own. That is very dangerous for a high control group like Watchtower. Now that we are in a "post-Covid" world, people are seeing that it was not part of the Last Days like the GB (Stephen Lett and Tony Morris) said it would be. Although that was speculation and not really a prophecy, it didn't age well. Just another failed prediction from "God's spokespeople."

I predict Watchtower will have a hard time weaning people off of Zoom. There will be zealous elders telling people that if you are on Zoom instead of at the Kingdom Hall that you are lacking faith in Jehovah. They'll make frequent use of Hebrews 10:25 to force people back to meetings. "And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near."

Once again, welcome.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    we all just go on for a chat and a catch up

I've heard the same. People have heard the information literally tens of thousands of times. They know the program even if it changes overlappingly. But I have heard they look forward to the chat locally and the international chat rooms. It's like meeting people at lunch at a convention. Interesting times.

Welcome and I look forward to your throughts.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Welcome to the forum Mike!

I trust you are aware that the majority on this site have concluded that the organization is not directed by holy spirit.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Just wondering, do you know some people in Surrey England? Maybe we know the same people!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Senior moment, BRD?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Slidin Fast

Our new chum has been on BRD and BOE.

😜

Is that how they express it these days?

Cheers,

Ozzie 🍷

Share this