I’m a current elder ex bethel in London

by Mikejw 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

Hi Mike

Were you still there in Bethel around 2009 when some elders were disfellowshiped for "apostasy"? I remember there were maybe 4 of them and the issues were similar than in 1980 in Brooklyn, that everyone should partake etc.

-

yes I remember that. That one old black brother who claimed to be anointed and the other black brother I won’t say their names

i also know a younger brother called Dale Warren who was closely involved with the group but last min left them and “stayed faithful to Jehovah”

so how did you know about it? Were you in bethel?

• Nostromo
    Nostromo

No I wasn't in Bethel. I think it was mentioned here many years ago and I thought it was interesting because such a thing is quite rare. Not many people leave because of doctrinal reasons and its even more rare that more than one individual leaves. I suppose the leading brothers at Bethel were terrified that many would join them? Do you know what happened to them afterwards? Did they join some other religion? I remember they even had their own blog online about some biblical topics.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

No I wasn't in Bethel. I think it was mentioned here many years ago and I thought it was interesting because such a thing is quite rare. Not many people leave because of doctrinal reasons and its even more rare that more than one individual leaves. I suppose the leading brothers at Bethel were terrified that many would join them? Do you know what happened to them afterwards? Did they join some other religion? I remember they even had their own blog online about some biblical topics.

-

yes I remember what happened in Breton Court one the accommodation blocks in Finchley. It started out as a study group, we were all invited but I guess I wasn’t super spiritual I would rather be playing football or in the gym.

then I hear people asking everyone did you get involved in that study group at all? I didn’t but some in my department did. Then we all hear about the scandal that this study group came out and said the GB were wrong about many things and they had the true meaning of the scriptures.

it was a massive scandal

as far as I know the main players all got dissfellowshiped

they were many who were part involved or went along once or twice to their study meetings who were closely watched this brother Dale Warren was one of them. He told me about serious this was and had to go and have regular shepherding calls with top brass

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@mikejw. Were you at Bethel when Ron Drage, Peter Ellis and Bevan Vigo were there ? I remember them from my days in the cult in the West Midlands in the late 60's. Drage was DO--the others were CO.

What became of them ?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Forgive me Mike but I have to ask. Why are you still an elder?

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I wonder what will happen when door to door witnessing resumes?

I've heard on the grapevine that locally many new publishers were created during the Covid pandemic, both reactivated baptised publishers and a large number of unbaptised publishers.

I'm sure for them it was dead easy to sit on their comfortable sofa and write letters copied off a template and send them anonymously to strangers in the mail.

But it's a different ballgame entirely if they are expected to get dressed and go out knocking doors and be seen in public identifying themselves as JWs.

Who wants to bet that lots of those people will start to drift off into obscurity rather than go house to house?

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

@mikejw. Were you at Bethel when Ron Drage, Peter Ellis and Bevan Vigo were there ? I remember them from my days in the cult in the West Midlands in the late 60's. Drage was DO--the others were CO.

What became of them ?

-

Stan, they are all in the luxury infirmary in Chelmsford. Looked after by the best volunteers money doesn’t need to buy.

Ron gave a talk years ago introducing the new publication in simple English for those he said who “suffered from retardation” hahahahaha

that was the last time they let him go off script

Bevan Vigo still loves insects and keep talking about insects he even looks like one.

Peter Ellis may have died I’m not sure they are all about 100

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    Lost in the fog3 days ago

I wonder what will happen when door to door witnessing resumes?

I've heard on the grapevine that locally many new publishers were created during the Covid pandemic, both reactivated baptised publishers and a large number of unbaptised publishers.

I'm sure for them it was dead easy to sit on their comfortable sofa and write letters copied off a template and send them anonymously to strangers in the mail.

But it's a different ballgame entirely if they are expected to get dressed and go out knocking doors and be seen in public identifying themselves as JWs.

Who wants to bet that lots of those people will start to drift off into obscurity rather than go house to house?

-

lost in the fog this is a very good point.

it has been very easy and comfortable being physically in the last few years. You get all the nice aspects of being in, the good association and invites to bbqs etc. Not much in the way of difficulty until we had to go back to the hall. But many stayed on zoom most of the time.

the letter writing thing fizzled out really long ago. Most just come on zoom for a good chat and catch up. Nobody writes many letters anymore.

When we are expected to go back to door to door it will be make or break

if it’s still going to be hybrid groups so that older ones can still write letters then once that can of worms has been opened it’s too late

I can see many folks getting the territory and ending up in coffee shop witnessing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit