A Must Read Update on WBTS and Darkspilver from reddit

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Fascinating story. Obviously, Watchtower wants to know WHO darkspilver is and is tossing some $$$ into the quest. I was digging around on the news site looking at the filed papers.

Watchtower's Attorney has no easy to find photos. Even on the BAR site. Has a crappy old house in downtown San Mateo, get his mail from a commercial P.O. Box, has a "rent a conference room" in San Mateo. No co-workers or partners. No complaints, no rants, no raves, no YELPS from happy or sad clients. A nebulous resume' of bouncing around from job to job.

StateStatusAcquiredUpdated
    NYCurrently registered201207/11/2019
    DCActive201110/14/2017
    CAActive198604/02/2019

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Licensee/Detail/124840

Is this mystery guy a frontman for the Watchtower's "squeeze a widow for all she is worth" before she dies and dam her kids' program?

Does anyone know this guy?

Glad to see a well funded ACLU/ Silicon Valley affiliation has taken up DarkSpilvers cause.

• LV101
    LV101

That's not too far from San Francisco which is the most expensive real estate in the US -- or was until the city turned into a rathole past few years. San Mateo is maybe 25-30 minute drive so his old house might be worth a lot - don't know. Watchtower probably keeps care of him and he lives in NY?

• blondie
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Blondie, we need to register with company email address. I never had need of one. Is it possible to copy the relevant part of the article?

• blondie
    blondie

Welcome back for another week of What’s Next, where we report on the intersection of law and technology. This week, copyright law is in the eye of the beholder as U.S. District Judge James Donato weighs in on a Jehovah’s Witnesses organization’s efforts to uncover the identity of a Reddit user. Plus, Facebook attempts to cleanup the fallout over the Cambridge Analytica data scandal, but it faces another challenger. And a district judge takes a stand on attorneys fees. Let’s chat: Email me at [email protected] and follow me on Twitter at @a_lancaster3.

I could see the whole article at first: Try e-mailing the author at this location. I have no idea how to circumvent the sign in process.

• Corney
    Corney

Obviously, Watchtower wants to know WHO darkspilver is and is tossing some $$$ into the quest.

I think they spend money to prevent the establishment of unfavorable precedent. It isn't very important for them to obtain Darkspilver's identity.

Is this mystery guy a frontman

No. I guess like they merely needed a local lawyer to file the initial petition. AFAIK, he didn't appear at any hearing.

Does anyone know this guy?

No, but it appears like he obtained only one published (precedential) decision over his career - San Joaquin County Human Services Agency v. Marcus W., et al (the juvenile court lacked jurisdiction to order a 16-year-old minor with sickle cell anemia to undergo periodic blood transfusions).

• blondie
    blondie

peaceful pete,

This seems to be the article

Copyright Infringement or Censorship?

A federal judge cast more doubt Thursday over a case that a Jehovah’s Witnesses group calls a copyright dispute, and that a digital rights group fears is a pretext for silencing detractors.

In last week’s hearing, U.S. District Judge James Donato of the Northern District of California raised an eyebrow over the continued legal avenues for Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ administrative organization that subpoenaed Reddit in January for the identifying information of a foreign user who reportedly infringed two of Watch Tower’s copyrights.

The user allegedly infringed the copyrights when he posted a one-page magazine advertisement encouraging readers to make online donations to the church, and a Watch Tower chart that describes its personal data gathering policies. Both the works have since been removed from the site.

“The poster is outside the territory of the U.S.; the church’s main concerns have been addressed by the takedown,” Donato said. “Isn’t that enough to call it a day?”

Let’s backtrack a bit. Earlier this year, Reddit declined to share the identity of the anonymous user. That person, identified only as Darkspilver, uses the forum to question the teachings of the church without fear of excommunication or “disfellowship” from the Jehovah’s Witnesses community he was raised in.

The subpoena seeks Darkspilver’s subscriber information, name, telephone number, address, email and IP addresses, citing infringement under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. In June, U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim of the Northern District of California ruled that Reddit must reveal the identity of Darkspilver, but only to attorneys involved in the case. The internet freedom advocacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation intervened on behalf of Darkspilver to try and quash the subpoena, which the EFF argues is a thinly veiled attempt at uncovering the identity of a “leaker.”

So, before getting into the merits of the case during Thursday’s hearing, Donato had to determine whether Kim’s order stood.

EFF argued that Darkspilver never officially consented to a dispositive motion in front of Kim, which is required for a magistrate judge to have the authority to issue an order. That argument came despite Darkspilver’s attorneys submitting briefings and appearances in the case.

Known among my colleagues for being the most prepared person in the room, Donato rattled off several cases, including Roell v. Withrow, to suss out implied consent. In Donato’s opinion, “if you come to the party and drink the punch, you can’t say you weren’t a guest.” However, precedent says otherwise in Allen v. Meyer. “The circuit has expressly declared that simply submitting briefs and attorney arguments just is not enough,” he said. “I’m not sure if that’s the answer, but that’s the answer I’m left with.” Donato subsequently suggested taking Kim’s ruling as a recommendation instead of an order.

With that out of the way, the judge returned to the copyright argument. Watch Tower’s in-house counsel Paul D. Polidoro said the church became a digital media organization virtually overnight. Polidoro claimed the infringing posts drew traffic away from the organization’s website and Watch Tower had a right to protect its site, an official conduit for Jehovah’s Witnesses teachings.

“That’s what the notification and takedown process is for,” Donato said.

Alex Moss, an EFF staff attorney representing Darkspilver, said the DMCA could be invoked to unmask other anonymous internet posters who won’t have the EFF or anyone else defending them if Donato rules in Watch Tower’s favor. However, Moss said Donato’s questions had her leaving in a good mood.

“We weren’t surprised that Judge Donato came to the hearing extremely well-prepared, but we were pleasantly surprised by the indications he gave, particularly with respect to procedural questions about the appealability of the magistrate judge’s order and the practical necessity of Watch Tower getting access to client’s name now that the images at issue have since been removed from Reddit,” she said. “We hope that Judge Donato’s decision will take into account the nature of our client’s fair use and the harm that compelling Reddit to disclose a user’s identity under these circumstances would do for the anonymous fair use commentary.”

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thanks so much Blondie for posting. It sounds all good and I'd be very surprised if the judge rules in Watchtower's favour

It seems as if Reddit has met the requirements of the Takedown and taking the issue any further doesn't serve to achieve anything from a copyright point of view or "taking traffic away' from JW.orgs website (Lol). It also seems from a procedural point of view Magistrate Kim should not have ruled the way she did without first consulting with Darkspilver (consent).

Either way the harms would be very great for future (1st amendment) rights to annonymous commentry, which surely must be the courts first priority given that DS is not a US citizen anyway.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, Diogenesister, when I first read this,

“The poster is outside the territory of the U.S.; the church’s main concerns have been addressed by the takedown,” Donato said. “Isn’t that enough to call it a day?”

I thought, of course, this judge sees the real agenda of the WTS.

Darkspilver's attorney seems to see this too.

We weren’t surprised that Judge Donato came to the hearing extremely well-prepared, but we were pleasantly surprised by the indications he gave, particularly with respect to procedural questions about the appealability of the magistrate judge’s order and the practical necessity of Watch Tower getting access to client’s name now that the images at issue have since been removed from Reddit,” she said. “We hope that Judge Donato’s decision will take into account the nature of our client’s fair use and the harm that compelling Reddit to disclose a user’s identity under these circumstances would do for the anonymous fair use commentary.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit