For those following the JW headquarters reaction to the UK documentary - Rebekah Vardy: Jehovah's Witnesses and Me

by jwleaks 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

In addition to the JWs false and misleading denial that Rebekah Vardy was ever a Jehovah's Witness, a few other interesting developments occurred that are worth noting:

1. an article in The Last Days newsletter reporting on how the JW[.]ORG website scrubbed clean its JW 'news' page and produced an entire new glossary of JW terminally meaning for the media:

The Last Days

and

2. The denial of shunning, and the subsequent complications (i.e. contradictions) that have surfaced in the new shunning talks for this years JW Convention. See the following video:

https://youtu.be/D0fz52ZhHLI

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Remember when the Org proudly admitted that they shunned ex-members?

WTF happened?

Unless…

…the rules for charity-status-tax-exemption are-a changin’…

…and they got no choice?

But…

wouldn’t a “compromise” of this significance - with “Satan’s World”, no less - imply that the WTS’s business model is - dare I say - dependent on its tax exemption?

And if that’s the case…

…what’s that say about “God’s Exclusive Earthly Organization”?

🤔🤨

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The deleted videos have apparently been published on the ExJW Caleb channel. They are awful. But what is amazing is that Watchtower has recoiled from publishing them. Has the tide started to turn? Will they backtrack further on their shunning policies?

https://youtu.be/RX09e7w6VIk

https://youtu.be/oCEca-1UVu0

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    slimboyfat: They are awful.

God awful comes to mind.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

There are times when they can defend a controversial or unpopular practice, such as refusing to serve in the armed forces. Even for people who disagree with the stance, they can admit that there is a rational explanation for why they take that position. Shunning is very difficult to defend. It's a pretty extreme practice, plenty of religions do not practice it, and there are always going to be examples of how it harms families and friendships.

I think they are trying to have it both ways- keep the practice, but imply that they don't really do it. So they won't just come out and renounce the practice of shunning. They might hope that it fades from public attention so that they won't get hassled over it anymore, while they keep doing it.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

They can hope it fades from public attention, but now the law is aware that baptised (& unbaptised) minors are involved in this - let's call it what it is - evil,abusive practice, they are going to struggle to keep their charitable status.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Dodgy Knees - let's call it what it is - evil,abusive practice, they are going to struggle to keep their charitable status.

They are utter liars. They carefully use words to convey an idea that is not true but sounds true.

I hope they lose more than their charitable status and go totally bankrupt with the Governing Body (TM) (PBUT), destitute.

A man can dream. It won't happen because they are crooked like our politicians.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"In addition to the JWs false and misleading denial that Rebekah Vardy was ever a Jehovah's Witness,"

Why would we or anyone care whether she was a JW? It's not like she has any special information.

• carla
    carla

Regarding whether or not someone is a jw by their baptismal standing is a moot point as far as the public is concerned. It is only jw's who see that as an end all as to membership or not. Even my jw is finally just starting to get it and that is saying something. When I tell him that it doesn't matter if one is baptized or not, if they go to a kh, tell everybody they are a jw, live the goofy life, go out in fs and be your typical annoying jw then to the rest of the world they are in fact a jw whether they are baptized or not.

Even my jw can understand that if someone goes to a Catholic church everyday, says the rosary, goes to confession and follows Catholicism, holidays, etc... then most people would consider them a Catholic whether they were baptized in the Catholic church or not.

As for minors, those poor souls have no choice in the matter so for their childhood to the rest of the world they would be considered a jw baptized or not.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

My family started full-on shunning me a while back and although it hurt at first, it quickly dawned on me that it was a gift. They were often mean-spirited, I was not allowed to bring up anything negative about the teachings, and conversation was stilted. I am much happier now - sorry!!! But I am!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit