Yeah, my parents plan to will everything to this parasitic organization and forsake their seed

by Phaedra 19 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

before my old dad ( 94 now ) went into a care home--nearly 3 years ago--i became aware he was donating £100 a month ( say $150 ) to his congregation--as well as a one-off £5000 towards a new hall--which was subsequently sold.

i was granted power of attorney--so ive put a stop to all of that nonsense. he also was assigned to a local congregation since going into care---any elder visits he used to get dried up a year ago.

his will leaves nothing to the cult.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    whathappened
    I have the opposite problem. My only child, my daughter, is still stuck in and I hate the idea of her donating one penny of my hard earned money she will inherit to the cult. It makes me angry every time I think of it.

How about a trust fund?
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    So sorry, Phaedra. It's the way cults roll. My JW in-laws expressly wrote their only child out of their wills decades ago. The WTBTS takes all of a million dollar plus estate. We are into the third generation of shunning in our family. No sense being angry; it won't change a thing. Sadly, my FIL who accepts brief calls for "necessary family business" only, asked my husband to convey their love to their grandchildren and great grandson, but our kids simply don't care. Why should they? They never knew their grandparents who were too busy shunning their own son for nearly 45 years, and now they are shunning them as well. It's a shame to be in your 90's and have no family connections because of a doomsday cult.
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra

Fellow feelers,

Thanks for your support. All of your comments are appreciated.

As you can see I was having a really frustrating moment when I posted. Twice last night I used a word on the board that I never have (sorry Simon). Thanksgiving today with no family who is stuck in this cult and life in general has me on the brink.

To bring you up to speed: Both my parents have been 'serving where the need is great' for the last 20 years. I know they planned on the 'end' happening much sooner... than where they currently find themselves. Well we know it's not happening, but they still cling to the fantasy.

So now, rounding the corner of 80, they both are having their fair share of health problems and real end of life conversations are on the table. And yet they are both as active as can be, mom concerned about getting hours in.

A couple of responses:

JWdaughter: "They might well be ill or debilitated for years before dying. Is the org going to care for them?"

Exactly, no. My father has been the PO for years. I'm sure when he can't do another theocratic thing he won't get even a 'thank you for your service' card. His life is full of being an elder for a small 30-40 publisher cong, and it's bittersweet because he has purpose and he's probably great to the friends. But unlike a real job, he won't get anything back for his service, nor taken care of in any way. The society loves people like this, who give their lives in obedience to their "demands", meaning the manipulative stories in the publications about people just the same giving up things in this world for 'blessings' from Jehovah.

Dunedain: If you dont mind me asking, how do you know this? Did they come right out and actually tell you this?

I know because I had an awkward conversation with my mother about it. As they are getting up in years with health issues and live states away, I wanted to find out if they had a plan in place, as I am their youngest and they have given me power of attorney in the past.

Sail Away: Yeah it's the way cults roles, and I'm finally feeling the anger I've repressed for so many years. They have been trained well by this organization to give all their time, energy, and material belongings they have when they are finally 'conscious of nothing at all.'

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

Being a parent myself, i find it mind boggling that parents would rather give their financial possesions to a multi-million dollar corporation, that perverts the meanings of Christian love, than their OWN children. The kicker too is, how many JW's were born in, and raised by the WTS from infancy. Due to this being the case their parents, most of the time, never directed them towards college, or even just setting up ANY kind of stability financially for their future. To, then, on top of it NOT will anything to these same children, is such a slap in the face, it could almost be considered ABUSE.

So, you raise your children in a dooms day cult. You indoctrinate them from infancy thru fear and manipulation. You discourage them from any financial planning, further education, and "skills" to survive in this real world , basically leaving them "helpless". Then at your twilight years, instead of, ATLEAST making up for it, by leaving them SOMETHING/ANYTHING, that could help them survive this world that they prevented them from preparing for in the first place, they just leave you "high and dry". Its criminal, and so angering, to me, that this happens. The WTS doesnt deserve this money, they deserve to be held accountable, instead. Their time is coming, though. Their reckoning is coming. . . . . .

• JWchange
    JWchange
    When they die (RIP), use social media and the press to object that your parents have left their money to pay for JW Pedo lawsuits. THEN SUE the estate and the trustees if the trustees agree to leave it to the JWs. .
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra

Being a parent myself, i find it mind boggling that parents would rather give their financial possesions to a multi-million dollar corporation, that perverts the meanings of Christian love, than their OWN children. The kicker too is, how many JW's were born in, and raised by the WTS from infancy. Due to this being the case their parents, most of the time, never directed them towards college, or even just setting up ANY kind of stability financially for their future. To, then, on top of it NOT will anything to these same children, is such a slap in the face, it could almost be considered ABUSE.

So, you raise your children in a dooms day cult. You indoctrinate them from infancy thru fear and manipulation. You discourage them from any financial planning, further education, and "skills" to survive in this real world , basically leaving them "helpless". Then at your twilight years, instead of, ATLEAST making up for it, by leaving them SOMETHING/ANYTHING, that could help them survive this world that they prevented them from preparing for in the first place, they just leave you "high and dry". Its criminal, and so angering, to me, that this happens. The WTS doesnt deserve this money, they deserve to be held accountable, instead. Their time is coming, though. Their reckoning is coming. . . . . .

Dunedain: That's exactly what I wanted to convey. It is mind-boggling: I could have written every bit of your post as it applies to my life situation as a raised-in from age 3.

I've been so diligent in not falling into a poor me trap, but it really does fly in the face of taking care of one's own and is frustrating. Do either of them owe me anything? No. But as they claim to be part of an organization based on love and concern for the welfare of others, I can't help but keep tripping over the hypocrisy.

Having a blind spot is even easier for them when their children are unbelieving. After all, why help anyone who will be destroyed soon?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    Phaedra --

Maybe, if you're lucky, they will enjoy a long and enfeebling old age of continuously creeping decrepitude in which they'll wonder every day, "WHERE are our "brothers" and "sisters?" [by the All-Seeing Eye of Agamoto I CURSE THEM] while you live out the remainder of your life with nary a thought for those jerks who neglected their obligation and abandoned you.

A philosophical point: Baby Jesus might try to argue otherwise, but familial obligation flows in the same direction as TIME. It is PARENTS who have an obligation to the children they brought forth, not the other way around. Your children ought not be your SLAVES. Any late-life reciprocity from child to loving parent is from gratitude, NOT obligation.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Dunedain said, "Being a parent myself, i find it mind boggling that parents would rather give their financial possesions to a multi-million dollar corporation..."

Uh... the WTB&TS brings in almost a BILLION dollars each year, so please re-write your post 1,000 times.

:)

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

These are hard times for Bronze Age desert gods. Back in Jesus' day, he told his followers to give to the poor and Jesus didn't have an expensive home, watches, pinky rings, and closets full of suits. After generations of sacrificing at a temple, Christianity promised freedom from such burdens.

Now in WT's day, the sheeple are told to give their money to a corporation. A lot of their giving used to be toward local congregations, but now the corporation is trying to squeeze every buck for "mother". The leaders are building an expensive, new, rural retreat for themselves, have abundant jewelry and clothes that they flaunt on their internet evangelist broadcasts.

Stack the GBs expenses on top of the current lawsuits and expected future liabilities and what's a JW to do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit