What's YOUR favourite quote?

by Dansk 34 Replies latest jw friends

• COMF
    COMF

Big E, you have just made me a fan of Churchill! Thanks.

Here's a favorite of mine. Omar Kayyam, in The Rubaiyat:

Awake! And into the fire of Spring
    Your winter-garment of repentance fling.
    The bird of Time has but a little way
    To flutter; and the bird is on the wing!

• Gopher
    Gopher

"I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member."

-- Groucho Marx

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

"We all live in the gutter, but some of us look up at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

"I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question."

"With or without regligion there will be good people do good things and bad people doing bad things. But for good people to do bad things, that takes religion." --a scientists whose name I can't remember.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

"If you've always done what you've done: you'll always get what you've gotten"

From a woman speaker from the University of Western Ontario (Potter). She always impressed me with her wonderous remarks and comments.

• greven
    greven

God does not play dice with the universe: He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.

Richard Burton

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh. Robert A. Heinlein

Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything.

Robert A. Heinlein

Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.

Thomas Jefferson

Greven

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I have been anxious to improve the nick of time, and notch it on my stick too; to stand on the meeting of two eternities, the past and future, which is precisely the present moment; to toe that line.

- H.D. Thoreau, "Walden"

A religion is sometimes a source of happiness. Bit it is a comfort appropiate for the weak, not for the strong. The great trouble with religion - any religion - is tht a religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge those propositions by evidence. One may bask at the warm fire of faith or choose to live in the bleak uncertainty of reason - but one cannot have both.

-R. Heinlein, "Friday"

And Greven, GET BACK TO WORK!

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Religion is for the weak-minded."

-- Jesse Ventura, while goverrnor of the state of Minnesota

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

"And since you're only supposed to speak good of the dead, let me just say that (whoever) is dead. Good." - the inimitable Francois.

cheeses - who feels that statement could very well have been uttered by the Apostle Paul.

• Anne
    Anne

One of the doctor's I work with will sometimes write this on charts for discharge.

HCOFD

It stands for hat, coat and out the F.... door. Not very professional, but it suits him.

It kept going through my head the last meeting I went to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit