"Ones"

by Joe Grundy 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think JWs use a predefined talk or phrasing as a denoting expression to how spiritual strong one is toward whom they are presently associating with.
    Elders who are looked upon or seen as spiritualty strong "Ones" or "Ones" who are spirit directed, talk with greater pretentiousness toward their identifying role.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Island Man said " I don't think there's anything ulterior behind its use.".

I beg to differ, I do think it is propaganda speak, it makes it sound as though the user comes from a more superior group than the individuals being spoken of.

I had not consciously thought of this before, but it is all part of the mind control.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Other people who are practicing Christians from the JWS's perspective are opposing ones, ones who are rather embracing Satan's wicked system of things against God.

They on the other hand are faithfully true ones from their own self descriptive identity.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

Yes, terms like this are meant to create and highlight an "us vs them" mentality.

• prologos
    prologos
    It appears to be the ultimate black and white term to classify a person, it strips her/him of any other attribute but that one, unique characteristic desired to be highlighted by the speaker/writer.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Yes, I agree it is to separate people into groups. They don't want to use persons or people because they really only want you to think of groups and labels. Sometimes they will even say "Ones who are (insert positive label) do well to ask themselves...(list of questions designed to control with guilt)". This appears in pretty much every study edition of the WT. There is a purpose to everything they write in the publications.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

"Ones" is the worst word of all the in-group language for me. I have a physical reaction to it--nausea in the back of my throat.

It does reinforce the "collective" aspect of the cult.

It gives me the creeps.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Joe, thanks for this OP. It's something I wondered about too, a never dub in the US. All of that to say, it stands out quite a bit to us worldly "ones". Such an affected way of speaking is not by accident. Interesting to hear how subtle, yet powerful, it is in stripping individual identity (you're just a number) and dehumanizing anyone outside the group.

My other least favorite affected/loaded terms: Christendom; true Christian; and system of things. I guess they can't just say the end of the world since the earth won't pass away

• Alive!
    Alive!

I used to cringe when I heard 'ones'

Looking back, there were many times that me and my husband would should a quick look at eachother as yet another brother would launch into 'watchtower- speak' complete with over theatrical gestures and this would be in just a simple conversation.

A 'fine' witness, brother, talk

We really hated the Anerican spin on so much of 'brand' but shrugged it off as surely it's the 'truth' that matters.....

And then the deception and lies became manifest....and....it was a case of a 'fine' exit left.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Yes I agree that it's meant to dehumanise non-JWs. Describing other people as less than human has been responsible for some of the worst atrocities ever committed. Like refusing to speak to your family for the rest if your life, for example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit