Sample Disassociation Letters

by Vanderhoven7 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I do not see the point in this letter, and the writer is trying to be too clever for their own good.

If a person does not want to disassociate, it is best not to do anything, just fade. By stating you do not agree with certain teachings of the Governing Body, you then admit to being what Watchtower regards as apostate and liable to be disfellowshipped.

Whilst one of the criteria to avoid being disfellowshipped is not recognising the authority of the elders and Watchtower, another is whether you are considered as one of Jehovah's Witnesses by the congregation and community, and hence they can still disfellowship you on that ground.

The elders will not provide names of accusers, or put things in writing, particularly to someone that just said they don't recognise their authority. Nor will they be frightened off from announcing a the person is no longer one of JWs, since it has been almost impossible to win a case when sue an elder for such a statement.

If the person genuinely does not want to be harassed by the elders, then write a letter saying that any calls and visits are causing distress and that an AVO will be sought. But the tone of this letter does not make it sound like harassment is the cause behind why it was written.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Why all the Drama!

Just leave if you don't want to be in the Watchtower anymore.

• iXav
    iXav
    Nothing will stop your old friends avoiding you if they think you have “ left Jehovah “

That is so true. Even the not so spiritual will think they are better than you once the announcement is made

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Disillusioned: The WTBTS rules are that if you speak against the elders or the WTBTS organization, that you are disassociating yourself. That is very clear from both the public and secret publications. Hence, when you write a letter, that is written evidence that you are disassociating yourself.

My point was that in Common Law you have legal recourse if they disfellowship you for no good reason and that is the only time you can sue for being disfellowshipped. Hence it is better to simply fade or leave as you will not be disfellowshipped. Of course if the "elders" find out you broke their rules (on smoking, sex etc), you can still get disfellowshipped, although after a few years they might not even pursue that.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Just leave, no letter, no goodbye, no shit. Just leave, and never come back. You don't have to give anyone an explanation.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Not all types of letters to the elders and to the WT will get a person labeled as disassociated, even if they express difficulties with what is written in WT literature and ask for explanations of such.

Years ago (after I faded) I wrote a letter to the WT in which I quoted things in the WT's KIT and the 2006 printing edition of the NWT Bible, and WT literature pertaining to evolution, which puzzled me because they looked very problematic (and I stated detailed reasons why they were problematic to me). In the letter I asked the WT to please provide me with explanations/answers in their defense. In that letter I also asked for the sources used for quotes of scientists mentioned in the Creator book. The WT never wrote back to me. I later phone called their headquarters regarding my request and a man told me (on the phone) he has the answers to the questions but that he won't tell me the answers. After asking if I was baptized (something which I thought the WT would already know the answer to) I told him I was, then the man on the phone told me to go the elders and ask them the answers, saying they might have them. I told them I do not see how they could possibly have these specific answers since only the WT would know what sources they used and why they worded things a certain way in their literature (unless of course, the WT later sent a letter to the congregation providing such information). The man said he questioned my motivates and he asked me if I was trying to change the views of the WT society. I said I was not trying to change the WT views; I only wanted answers to my questions. But, he said he didn't believe me. The man at WT/JW headquarters later told me that unless the congregation's elders (who thus personally know me, unlike the man at headquarters) asks the WT/JW headquarters to provide the information to me, the WT will not provide the information to me. I then reluctantly contacted the elders to obtain the answers and the elders gave various ideas as answers to me but they were inadequate.I talked to the elders in person and I corresponded with one of them via email about the matter. After a week or so I stopped receiving replies from the elder I was emailing.

The WT never provided the answers to me. Eventually I wrote a letter to the elders saying I resign from the Theocratic Ministry School and from voluntary servitude to the WT organization and from being a publisher (this was years after I stopped participating in the school, from attending the Memorial, and as a publisher, but I wanted to make the status official). I asked that either my publisher record card be destroyed or that it have notes added to it saying I have resigned from the school and from being a publisher. I received no reply to that letter.

Not long ago an elder, in the congregation of my JW immediate family members, told other elders in that congregation that I have disassociated myself (a JW family member of mine told me such). The other elders of that congregation said they had been aware I had disassociated, thus they later inquired about the matter with those of my former congregation. The elders of my former congregation then informed the elders of the other congregation that I am classified as inactive - not disassociated (a JW family member of mine told me such).

Years ago I told my JW immediate family members that I am now an atheist who is convinced that nothing (and no one) supernatural exists at all. I also told them that I am convinced of evolution, and that I am writing a book that tries to convince all types of god-believers that their is no god, nor anything else supernatural (but that my book is far from being finished). It was a huge shock for them to learn those things, but they still associate with me. They sometimes try to convince me that I am wrong (despite me asking them not to, though now they more reserved in their efforts and now I am far less offended by their efforts) and that they want me to survive through the great tribulation and Armageddon. They don't want me to disassociate from the religion because they say that if I did so they would have to do what the WT (and in their minds, also Jehovah) says in regards of how to treat disassociated ones. They also don't want me to disassociate because it would make it harder for me to become active in the religion again (and, in their minds, to become saved through Armageddon). I also think they would feel very sad and embarrassed if JWs heard I had become disassociated (or an officially ex-JW whether or not they knew it is from disassociation).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just leave, no letter, no goodbye, no shit. Just leave, and never come back. You don't have to give anyone an explanation. ~ Overrated

YES! You don't owe them anything!

No meeting with elders.

No putting anything in writing.

No explanation.

Just get too busy with life to show up anymore.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Corrections: Where in my prior post I said "The other elders of that congregation said they had been aware I had disassociated ..." I meant to say "The other elders of that congregation said they had not been aware I had disassociated ..." Where I said "... that their is no god ..." I meant to say "... that there is no god ...". Where I said "... though now they more reserved ..." I meant to say "... though now they are more reserved ...".

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I notice that people, in trying to convince others not to write a letter of disassociation, keep saying 'you don't have to give anyone an explanation' and 'you don't owe them anything'. But most of those who are considering writing a disassociation letter are not doing so for the benefit of the elders; they are not feeling they owe the elders anything. They are doing so, I think, because they want to be officially on record as having voluntarily officially quit the religion instead being expelled from the religion. For such ones, fading without later officially disassociating is inadequate, since (I think) they may have in mind of officially and openly joining another religion (or an anti-religious organization), or in writing a book (openly mentioning them as the author) that extensively criticizes religion and in which states they have resigned from religion.

For me, if I were to complete the writing of a pro-atheism book and get it published, my self esteem would be much higher if I could honestly state in the book that I officially quit the religion, instead of being expelled form it, and that I could document to people that I quit it instead of being expelled from it. After the atheist book is published people might falsely accuse me (including in writing) that I committed immorality and was kicked out of the religion instead of me having quit the religion. Without a disassociation letter I wouldn't be able to publicly prove I voluntary quit the religion, but with a notarized disassociation letter sent via registered mail to the congregation and to the headquarters of the WT/JW religion I could prove to people what really happened. Furthermore, stating in my book that I officiate quit the religion (despite the huge repercussions it brings), and stating the reasons why, would make me more credible as an author in the minds of many readers who are wondering if they should stop believing in religion and in a god (or gods). A letter of disassociation is a way to repudiate the WT/JW religion.

A number of people who left various organizations did so officially, partly so they could repudiate them and make such known publicly.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW
    Correction: In my prior post where I wrote "Furthermore, stating in my book that I officiate quit the religion (despite the huge repercussions it brings), and stating the reasons why, would make me more credible as an author in the minds of many readers who are wondering if they should stop believing in religion and in a god (or gods). A letter of disassociation is a way to repudiate the WT/JW religion." I meant to write: "Furthermore, stating in my book that I officially quit the religion (despite the huge repercussions it brings), and stating the reasons why, would make me more credible as an author in the minds of many readers who are wondering if they also should stop believing in religion and in a god (or gods). A letter of disassociation is a way to repudiate the WT/JW religion, and depending upon the wording, to even repudiate Christianity, the Bible, and all supernaturalistically minded religions. It can also be a way to boldly say 'I am an apostate and an anti-Christ and a blasphemer (of the idea of god, but from an atheistic perspective not of god himself because to a positive atheist their is no god) and I'm proud of it.' "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit