Three Simple Reasons Why an Assault-Weapons Ban Is Bad Policy

by freemindfade 36 Replies latest social current

• Half banana
    Half banana

Do you remember the time, way back, when people could buy tobacco and would actually inhale carcinogenic smoke sometimes all day long...for pleasure?

Do you remember when society was stratified with the richest land-owning few lording it over the hard working and poverty stricken majority?

Do you remember a time when in the USA the Second Amendment allowed everyone to hold lethal weapons because armed militias were thought to be a sensible way to safeguard communities?

Do you remember how it used to be when crackpot religions held sway over millions of believers who were driven by guilt into doing the bidding of the cult leaders, back in the day before people understood and practiced critical thinking?

Yeah!.........they were the bad old days.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    This is a forum for those who wish to escape a high control religion and you want to use it as a forum to forward a political agenda? Really?

The beauty of being out a cult is the ability to exchange ideas, even when you don't agree. You should try it instead of just whining.

The fact is is that assault rifles like the AR-14 can psychologically influence people to use these guns in massive attacks against the general population in public places.
    Ie. Sandy Hook School Massacre, Las Vegas Massacre, Florida's Stoneman Douglas High School shooting
    Don't listen to FreemindFade because he doesn't have mind or a heart

Fink you are a poster child for how the left no longer discusses issues using thought or evidence, just "saying shut up and you're bad". Keep it up, you are making everyone on this side of the issue look much better.

Tell me, what evidence do you have that this gun can (magically) make you do its biding? Yea... I am the crazy one...

imagine having something happen to you in traffic that makes you really mad. OK. Now imagine that you have a pistol on the seat next to you. It changes your perspective.

Well it does change your perspective, but you sort of have it wrong. See I carry, and most people in the state I live in do as well it seems, yet you don't have gun fights breaking out in the street over traffic incidents. You see with that responsibility to carry comes a lot of weight. You are probably actually less likely to engage in useless road rage because you realize the consequences of escalation. If you have a black belt do you just go around kicking everyone's ass that pisses you off? Or do you exercise more control and discipline because you hold that power??? Think about what you are saying in the context of the real world.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    The relevance of the Second Amendment was mooted by the the completion of the Westward Movement and the end of the Frontier.

Really? The idea that the second amendment was to ensure the governments right to arms is insanity, it's not what it means at all, and it didn't have an expiration date on it because the founding fathers knew, that at any moment then and into the future, a government could become tyrannical. You think that has magically gone away?

Sheep....

• freemindfade
  • Not_Culty
    Not_Culty

Thank you freemindfade for your cogent defense of our 2 amendment rights.

No amount of gun laws will do a thing when Gov employees fail to implement them.

Whats needed is Gov employee control .

BTW I don't even own a firearm at this time.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I still think it's fundamentally bizarre for a populace to arm itself to the teeth because it's afraid its government is conspiring to prevent it from arming itself to the teeth.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I still think it's fundamentally bizarre for a populace to arm itself to the teeth because it's afraid its government is conspiring to prevent it from arming itself to the teeth.

And I think its fundamentally bizarre that a country like the UK would send someone to jail for saying something mean about a religion on facebook.

• TD
    TD

Vidiot,

...for a populace to arm itself to the teeth

In the U.S. laws regarding firearm ownership actually vary quite a bit from state to state.

Some states have laws on par with those of Canada. Some states are quite a bit more lenient.

It really depends upon where you live.

Generally this corresponds to areas that are more urban vs. areas that are more rural.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Now imagine that you have a pistol on the seat next to you. It changes your perspective. "If that guy knew what I had here..."

I think Robert Heinlein had it right when he wrote, "Well, in the first place an armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization. That’s a personal evaluation only. But gunfighting has a strong biological use. We do not have enough things to kill off the weak and the stupid these days. But to stay alive as an armed citizen a man has to be either quick with his wits or with his hands, preferably both. It’s a good thing"

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

What good is a gun without ammunition?

I have a number of those. I call them hammers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit