This is What I Would Need in Order to Believe

by cofty 496 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• deegee
    deegee

John_Mann,

If I'm wrong so oblivion is reality ironically I will never know

It's good that you are open to this possibility since, of the millions of the dead, no one has been back to tell us what the afterlife is like and about their conversations with God.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    One sure way to know whether this is just my opinion about justice - try telling a court of law that it is your children who should be penalized if you should commit a crime.
    Please be sure to let us know the outcome if you should ever find yourself in this situation.

Try to ask if is fair a child inherit the exact financial status, nationality, genes, etc, from their parents and ancestors.

• deegee
    deegee

John_Mann,

"Catholics believe the human nature must be in soul and body forever."

Just reiterate:

- every function which you have attributed to the immaterial soul is performed by our brains.

- the functions which you have attributed to the immaterial soul are altered when one experiences brain injury or neurological disorders.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    It's good that you are open to this possibility since, of the millions of the dead, no one has been back to tell us what the afterlife is like and about their conversations with God.

Of course I'm open to the possibility of oblivion.

Actually I don't see other logical options than Catholicism or oblivion.

But in this worldview doesn't matter if you are a Catholic, an atheist or a JW.

And if I really was very confident about this reality I would try to kill myself.

Because life is suffering and I would end in oblivion no matter what.

Evil still exist no matter what you believe and the most logical thing to reduce the experience of evil is going to oblivion.

Why wait?

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    - every function which you have attributed to the immaterial soul is performed by our brains.

Please, scan a brain, build a virtual model of it, run it an show me a consciousness.

- the functions which you have attributed to the immaterial soul are altered when one experiences brain injury or neurological disorders.

Correlation is not causation.

You can alter a driver's performance by altering his car. Or you can alter a radio's reception by altering the device without affecting in nothing the broadcasting station.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    By conscient nihl I didn't mean a conscient pursuit of nihl. I meant a sentient, perpetual and hopeless experience of nihl, taking place as a consequence of a metaphorical original sin by a couple of man and woman 6.000 ago in mesopotania. Is that your definition of hell?

Partially. Because Hell must be an intentional choice.

Please start by telling me where in the Bible or the teachings of Jesus you find that notion, so that it can clearly be lablelled "christian" - and I say this because you define your beliefs as christian.

I'm not a Sola Scriptura Christian.

It seems to me that you don't take Adam and Eve literally to be the common acestors of all makind, as per the literal reading of Genesis.

I believe this is literal.

1. ^ Rohde DL, Olson S, Chang JT; Olson; Chang (September 2004). "Modelling the recent common ancestry of all living humans" (PDF). Nature. 431 (7008): 562–6. Bibcode:2004Natur.431..562R. doi:10.1038/nature02842. PMID 15457259. calculate an age of 2,000 to 4,000 years based on a non-genetic, mathematical model that assumes random mating although it has taken into account important aspects of human population substructure such as assortative mating and historical geographical constraints on interbreeding. This range is consistent with the age of 3,100 years calculated for the MRCA of the JC virus, an ubiquitous human polyomavirus usually transmitted from parents to children by L. A. Shackelton et al., "JC Virus Evolution and Its Association with Human Populations" Journal of Virology, Vol. 80, No. 20 (Oct. 2006), doi:10.1128/JVI.00441-06.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_recent_common_ancestor

If 6.000 years ago god decided for the first time to give a soul to some random couple in mesopotamia, and many more human beings were already in existence around the globe,

Yes. Homo sapiens have been around by 200.000 years ago.

About 50.000 years ago they achieved a sophisticated mortal soul (probably by evolution).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_modernity

what do the non-descendants of that couple have to do with it all?

Probably nothing. They did not had souls so they were not conscious. They were just like the bicameral men proposed by Julian Jaynes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Why the burden of the original sin was imposed upon them?

They don't had immortal souls.

At what point the non-descendants of that couple began to have souls?And why? And how?

They never got souls. But some of them married the sons and daughters of Adam and their offspring received souls. They went extinct by assimilation and killing.

• deegee
    deegee

John_Mann,

Since you are convinced that you should live forever just as the JWs are, the only difference being, you have switched venues from earth to heaven, then no amount of reasoning will make you see otherwise.

I'm surprised that you gave up on being a JW - apparently heaven comes with more perks?

For your sake, I do hope that you will live on after death. Be sure to let us know what the afterlife is like and about your conversations with God.

I understand. Some people just can't deal with the fact that they become nothing at death.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    For your sake, I do hope that you will live on after death. Be sure to let us know what the afterlife is like and about your conversations with God.

My sake? Hope after death?

I thought your position was oblivion.

• John_Mann
  • cofty
    cofty

The epitome of laziness John_Mann.

Anybody can post a link to twenty arguments for anything.

You have yet to address a single word in your 18 pages of dogma to the nine points in the OP.

Can we can safely assume you have no answer?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit