This is What I Would Need in Order to Believe

by cofty 496 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Fin. Evidence versus myth. But Fin,the Bible says that Pharisees fought against empirical evidence from God, so sometimes people don't want the evidence becsuse it disturbs them.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Why do apologists of God keep referring to thousands of years old scriptures as to what GOD is supposed to have said ? written down by imperfect uneducated by our standards today , humans more than 2000 years ago ?

How is it that we havent heard a word from him in 2000 years ? Apparently he was always communicating with his people in one way or another in the "Old Testament" the "Hebrew Scriptures "

However since the New testament "Christian Greek Scriptures " he refuses to talk with humans and neither does his son Jesus Christ ,and he is supposed to be ruling over the congregations for the past 100+ years ?

Which beggars the question if Jesus Christ has been ruling over the Christian Congregation since 1914 how is it they have got so many things wrong since 1914 ?

They are continually making adjustments with the excuse "the light gets brighter and brighter" what is wrong with Jesus that he cant say what he means in the first place ? does he suffer from dyslexia ? Is he now senile ?

According to JW`s Jesus has been enthroned since 1914 ,is he mute ? He hasnt said anything that gives anyone confidence that he is ruling over the world let alone the congregations.?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

the Bible says that Pharisees fought against empirical evidence from God

There was a lot of things said or written of the Hebrew god but it was hearsay, the Hebrews told stories of how powerful and mighty their god was similar to how other ancient civilizations told stories of their gods with the same intent to create power and relevance to these specific gods..

Just because someone scribed words or made pictographs on temples of worship doesn't equate to there being evidence of gods.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

However since the New testament "Christian Greek Scriptures " he refuses to talk with humans and neither does his son Jesus Christ.....

That is my point exactly. But what I am saying is that according to JW -He does.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Fin, I am saying that the evidence is there for all to see.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

just read your OP cofty (sorry haven't had time to read the comments that follow yet) and I think you are bang on target.

this is what impresses me the most re human reasoning - that people seek what makes sense - so this for me indicates reasoning ability - people hold their ideas for good reasons - they make sense.

edit: fisherman - exactly but JWs are taking a countercultural stance to catholicism and its focus on mystery and what is difficult to articulate, and on ambiguity - lots say that this is how religion ought to be. Jehovahs witnesses say that is rubbish as religion must make sense

• cofty
    cofty
    Look for the evidence with your heart if you really want it - Fisherman

I have no idea what that means. I'm sure you don't either.

My "heart" says genocide and slavery is wrong. God's word says it's a moral good. What is a man to do?

There are arguably good reasons He doesn't prove His existence - Cold Steel

This is nothing but a bald assertion. Also, I didn't ask that there be "proof" of god's existence. What I said was, "If the god of christian theism did exist... it would be more difficult to reject the claims of christianity than to accept them".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Great points, young Cofty.

For me, I would believe if it was obvious beyond a shadow of a doubt that god/s existed. there shouldn't be any of this 'oh, well, you just aren't looking properly' nonsense.

That's it in a nutshell for me. The more I look at what's in the so called 'holy books', is the more idiotic they all are. I conclude that if god/s exist then it/them/he/she must be a complete fool.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

If God exists then a lot of children would have less ice cream money...

• Half banana
    Half banana

If you live your life using only the information about those things for which evidence exists, God or gods become an irrelevance.

We have five direct senses by which we negotiate the world, how could it ever be possible to know about something, such as God for instance, which is not detectable by our five senses?

The Bible is just a collection of ancient literature edited and sanctified by religious demagogues.

Are you believers not able to smell a rat?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit