"We Want You To Know That the Governing Body LOVES You"

by minimus 30 Replies latest jw friends

• chester
    chester

A Loyal JW told my wife that one of the Governing Body members broke down and cried during his Prayer at one of the conventions this year.

Has anyone else heard this? If so, what which convention was it and which one of the GB members was it?

This person did not say where they heard it from.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I dunno... this scarily reminds me of "Big Brother loves you."

The same sort of attempt by an impersonal, distant leader to draw personal loyalty as a tool of mind-control.

• Scully
    Scully

All of us here know that when the words

We want you to know that the Governing Body loves you

are uttered from the platform at a convention, that it really means this:

We want you to know that the Governing Body loves you r money .

Love, Scully

• Gopher
    Gopher

Chester,

You referred to:

A Loyal JW told my wife that one of the Governing Body members broke down and cried during his Prayer at one of the conventions this year.

The GB member is Daniel Sydlik. Look at the post by TheOldHippie near the bottom of page 1 of this thread : http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/54815/1.ashx

I do not have the information about which convention city witnessed this heart-moving episode.

• blondie
    blondie

The GB tells the elders they love them because they are losing about 25% every year due to the lack of love from fellow elders and the lack of love many elders see shown to the R&F. Gotta pump the guys up or they won't stay.

Without the elders, the GB will not be able to shovel out the propaganda and enforce the rules.

Blondie

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I don't want to be loved by them. They can keep their love and @#$#.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Chester,

that was Dan Sydlik at the international convention in Pontiac Michigan held a few weeks ago.

He started to cry during the concluding prayer on the last day of the assembly. The chairman had to finish it off.

Wannaexit

• minimus
    minimus

That is sooooooo stupit. Just stupit! Crying so much that the chairman has to take over. What did he do? Continue praying where Sicklick left off? Did he start his own prayer? ..........How embarrassing! Well, the GB MUST love us, huh?

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm sure that most who were there for the crying scene during that prayer thought it was just wonderful. I can picture the follow-up discussions: 'wasn't it wonderful how brothe Sydlik got so emotional - he cares for us so much!!'

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I'm not saying that Sydlik's prayer and crying wasn't heartfelt, and I'm not making any direct connection, but somehow it reminds me of the pain and embarrassment I felt listening to Knorr cry about dying and leaving the Bethel family for the last few months of his life. For a while it was almost a sure thing that Knorr would break down and cry while giving either the prayer or the morning text comments. It was sad on several levels: he was dying of an inoperable brain tumor, undoubtedly in pain, but part of my embarrassment was from watching a man cry so often about dying and leaving Bethel and leaving his friends, etc. etc. It didn't seem fitting for someone with a strong faith in the heavenly hope. Did anyone else remember this, or feel this way at the time?

Gamaliel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit