What is worse: 1914 or Beard change

by Gorb 22 Replies latest jw friends

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The change regarding beards can almost be made without explanation. They would have been better off just admitting it was a mistake and unnecessary. Considering some of the stuff they have gotten wrong, beards would be a minor issue.

Any change regarding 1914 needs a LOT of explanation. Especially after they doubled down with the overlapping generations crap. Although, if they adopt enough mainstream changes, maybe they'll be able to ease away from 1914? But that would require almost a complete remake of the religion.

• hoser
    hoser

To get rid of 1914 they will have to come up with a long term plan which they don’t seem able to do.

Looks like they are just reacting to the circumstances that present themselves at the time

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

1914 doesn't have to be addressed, because it's already been addressed. How so? 1st, the 1995 change. Then, Splane the Gollum's notorious "Chart" of "Overlapping Generations."

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

They've now got indefinite timespan to keep this con-job cult masquerading as a legitimate religion rolling on for as long as it possibly can to milk every red cent out of the gullible rank-n-file sheeple.

Also, add to the fact that most of the "Old Guard" who were really dug in deep and invested in the 1914 and "This Generation" doctrine are mostly now all DEAD. All of them!! I'd say anyone under the age of say, 40, doesn't really understand OR even really care enough about the 1914 doctrine for it to make a difference. Anyone my age who understand enough, understood enough to realize the GB is full of SHIT, and making it all up as they go along and LEFT, never to return! The ones remaining are brain-dead zealots who eagerly eat up the "Beards are now allowed!" as if it's Manna from heaven. THAT is the level of "stupid" that is now left in this cult, and that's just how the GB2.0 like it!!! Sheep are the easiest to fleece and then slaughter. Baaaaah!

I (age 44), and many others have been saying for a while now that "this is not the religion I was raised in." You better believe it! My JW parents, who both passed away before I was even 30, must be spinning in their graves at the total clown show and FARCE that their once "deep" religion has now become. I mean seriously, they would be embarrassed at seeing this stupid shit being put out today, and TOMO3 and Stephen Lett especially would have their jaws on the floor. GB2.0 and JW Broadcasting is the biggest Apostate-maker of all time!!!

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

6 hours ago
    no-zombie
    ..it's all robotic obedience.

👍👍👍

Couldn't agree more!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Rattigan350

"There is nothing wrong with 1914. It is solid doctrine that preceded the governing body, Rutherford, Russell, etc."

Actually there is everything wrong with 1914.

Initially, it was based on the 1874 parousia. Because Russell assumed that a generation lasted max 40 years, Armageddon would occur by 1914 at the latest.

As I understand it, Rutherford changed the 1874 parousia date to 1914 around 1930. It could have been as early as 1927 when he also changed the resurrection of the saints to heavenly life date from 1888 to 1918.

Regardless, currently the 1914 is based on at least 9 assumptions, the first being that Daniel 4 has a second fulfillment.

So the 1914 doctrine is solid only in the minds of those who are also willing to mindlessly assume that Jesus was talking about an overlapping generation.

• Leathercrop
    Leathercrop

get rid of 1914 they will have to come up with a long term plan which they don’t seem able to do.

Hoser,

I think you're seeing their long term plan in action actually. Chipping away at little things, seemingly little things bc the time reporting truly wasn't little. A couple more changes like these and the stage for 1914 will be set.

• jehovaxx
    jehovaxx

They never want a long term plan, to keep the money flowing in they need to keep Jdubs in a sense of urgency.

They had 1975 to look forward to, but then that came and went. They had the end of the millennium next, many articles saying the end would before the year 2000. That came and went.

Then they came up with the overlapping generations, that kind of bought them some time while keeping the sense of urgency that it was still right around the corner.

Some were looking to the year 2014, and that was mentioned a fair bit as 100 years of Jesus ruling as king. That came and went.

It been a decade since then and they haven’t come up with anything else to make people think it’s very close and have this sense of urgency to keep Jdubs busy and keep the money flowing in.

The last time the new younger members were added to the GB some were disappointed they thought the last lot were the last ones. But then over 25years ago they added Tony and some others.

There was talk at the time that these would be the last members of the GB and the end would come before they died and they would be raptured although that word was never used they use different words for raptured.

Now here we are another quarter of a century later and they have added two more younger members.

They really need something else to keep the sense of urgency but at the same time need to think how they can handle the 1914 problem

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

hoser - “…they will have to come up with a long term plan which they don’t seem able to do…”

Long-term planing is impossible when the End of the World is perpetually imminent.

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

Does anyone else think that the GB are following the discussions on apostate websites and deciding whether to agree or not with the gripes of the dissatisfied ex-jws?

Reporting time, aren't we Christian 24/7 - what does the table think? Will we scrap it? Vote 3 to 7, okay we'll scrap it for the publishers but keep it for the pios and above. Vote, all in favour. Passed.

Now, what about beards?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

1914 will be mentioned less and less and less until it's forgotten about. They just cant get rid of the fallacy at once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit