When JW.org drops 607BCE...

by Nathan Natas 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

Your imagination exceeds my imagination.

It’s evident that many of my abilities exceed yours. 😒

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

It’s evident that many of my abilities exceed yours.

--

If that is so then please provide a summary or succinct explanation why 587BCE rather than 586 BCE is the date for the Fall of Jerusalem. Let us see how smart you are!

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Already provided link

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

'scholar' is a bombastic apologist so I don't really hold any hope for him. But in case any new readers want to know how 587 BCE is confirmed as the correct year, the most direct (but not only) method is as follows.

The Battle of Carchemish occurred in the summer of 605 BCE (confirmed by relative astronomical observations during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar in LBAT 1420), which Jeremiah 46:2 says was during Jehoiakim’s 4th year. This constrains the possible dating systems in Jeremiah to Nisan/accession (starting from the year that began in Nisan of 609 BCE) or Tishri/non-accession for kings of Judah. Zedekiah's 11th year in either reckoning necessarily corresponds to 587 BCE.

'scholar' will bleat about 'pretty charts' because that seems to be the extent of his intellectual capacity, but if any honest readers have questions, feel free to ask.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    Scholar: "Celebrated WT scholars have long championed the date 607 BCE"
    Sanchy: Could you please list the the names of these "Celebrated WT Scholars"?
    Scholar: The said scholar would like to help you but his understanding is that they wish to remain anonymous akin to the NWT Committee.
    How can 'Watchtower Scholars' be 'celebrated' if no one knows who they are?
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

ThomasMore: Either date makes the “ generation” too old to be valid.

Unless they overlap.

But that makes me wonder: does the WTS mention the overlapping generations as often as they did the original "this generation"? I recall hearing the "1914 generation" explained frequently prior to my fade, which began shortly after 1995. Do they ever emphasize the overlapping group, to show that time is running out yet again?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Me earlier:

This constrains the possible dating systems in Jeremiah to Nisan/accession (starting from the year that began in Nisan of 609 BCE) or Tishri/non-accession for kings of Judah.

For clarification, those constraints are what is imposed by the placement of the battle of Carchemish. Examination of additional passages specifically identifies Tishri/non-accession dating as the correct dating method for kings of Judah in Jeremiah and 1&2 Kings. But that additional examination is not necessary for establishing 587 BCE as the correct year.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Are you sure that WT hasn't already abandoned 607?

When was the last time you saw all that 2520 years mumbo jumbo in print?

What percentage of active JW's do you think could Splane it? (Get it? "Splane" it like David Splane traying to "splane" the overlapping generational BS?)

[Sarcasm alert]

Maybe I should splane I'm in a funky mood this morning. Must be the lack of sunlight yesterday.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Watchtower already has shown how they deal with their uncomfortable predictions and Dates.

#1 IGNORE the date and the significance they attached to it.

IOW STOP mentioning the date. Just Stop. Stop referring. Stop explaining. Stop printing. Think about how WTS dumped the 7,000 Creative Days Doctrine.

If that doesn't work:

#2 DENY DENY DENY Think 1975. "We NEVER SAID Armageddon was going to begin on that date. Some of the brothers 'Ran Ahead' of the Organization."

If that doesn't work:

#3 DEAMONIZE or DISCREDIT Anyone or Anything that can prove the Date or Prediction they made is False

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

They just say things less,,less less & less

Its proven by an indoctrination technique.

The reverse for enforcement of doctrine. Say something more,, more , more & more.

Like 120 times in 7 minutes..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit