Do you think the general public cares about former Jehovah's witnesses?

by Christian Gutierrez 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Christian Gutierrez
    Christian Gutierrez

Thanks a lot guys for your input. I want to figure out a way to get the general public to take notice. I think their opinion can help make changes to Watchtowers policies. A louder voice for change.

• John Davis
    John Davis

You probably won't ever get the general public to care. Even with all of this talk about Leah Remley special no one cares about Scientologists and their practices. JWs and Scientologists and Mormons are nothing more than a punchline. There weren't big protest outside of the Scientologist headquarters or their celebrity centre in LA after she did her special. So why would you think that people would care about Witnesses?

• Christian Gutierrez
    Christian Gutierrez

You make a really good point John. I think people might care more since there are a lot more people who have a relative that's JW. Family break ups might hit home to more than stories about Scientology.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

CHRISTIAN GUTIERREZ:

No, they do not.....Before I joined the JW religion I had no idea what they were about. This should really highlight just how insignificant they are in the eyes of the World.

When I was there I was puzzled when I heard them say things that indicated how "important" they are. Where?? In some closet somewhere??? Since I never heard a whisper about them, I wondered what the hell they were talking about.

That's why I feel it's important for ex-JWs to tell the world about their bad experience and what actually goes on there, because no one would ever know and everybody is interested in their own problems.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JW`s aren`t even important under the couch...

I LOOKED!!

Image result for looking under the bed

• Carol1111
    Carol1111

Most people hide when they see active JW's coming. They will have little contact with ex-Jw's

• John Davis
    John Davis

It is really hard to get large amounts of people to react to things that have direct impacts in their everyday lives already let alone something that doesn't affect most people. Look at the issue of police brutality in cities like Furgeson or violence in the neighbourhoods of any major city in the US and around the world. When a tragedy strikes there is a protest for a short period of time, but those protests don't last long and in reality doesn't encompass a large percentage of the community. There maybe a 1000 people protesting but if the city and the metro area has 4 Million people that is a tiny percentage of people protesting. Those protests normally fizzle out long before any actual change occurs. And these things are impacting people's everyday life and they can't be bothered to step up to make a change, so how likely do you think that people will be when they have had no impact with Witnesses.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Attention Mods:

Outlaw made a post without using a meme.

Isn't that a violation of forum rules?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I have told our story to friends and clients and they are interested, but likely only because they know us. I think our stories have the biggest impact in helping doubters leave and those who are out feel less alone.

Friends keep saying that I should write a book. So soon I will be launching a podcast about my life, and hopefully it helps those who are out and those who are interested out there. It was podcasts and audio books that helped save me, and that's how I consume media, so hopefully I can reach new people.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Most people I have spoken to know absolutely nothing about JW's, apart from them being annoying door knockers. They know nothing about shunning or it being a high control group. Some know they are against blood transfusions and think they are nutters for that reason.

As a result, extremely few people know that there is an ex JW community. Some people are gobsmacked or plan don't believe me when I tell them about it.

i think though that Watchtower is just one of many high control groups that most people know nothing about. They differ from the others in that they are one of the largest, and have left a larger paper trail than most. Thankfully the general public seems to be coming more aware of high control groups and the dangers associated with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit