Do you think the general public cares about former Jehovah's witnesses?

by Christian Gutierrez 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Christian Gutierrez
    Christian Gutierrez

I was wondering if you guys think if the general public cares about our stories or if they even care what the Watchtower does to people???

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Or care if there are more (or less) Conventions taking place?

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4802048488898560/2017-jw-conventions

• Tallon
    Tallon

Hi Christian

I don't think the general public are too concerned as they are busy dealing with their own life issues. The exception possibly being child abuse and shunning. Other than that, no.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No...

In the Real World.

WBT$ & JW`s are an insignificant, odd little group.

Most of the world knows nothing about them, or cares about them.

The only place JW`s are World Famous, is in WatchTower World.

Image result for Jehovahs witness logoImage result for Look at me!

• sir82
    sir82

The world in general devotes about 10 seconds a year, on average to thinking about JWs.

I'd say the amount of time spent thinking about former JWs is exponentially smaller.

In the grand scheme of things, JWs are about as important as the 3rd atom from the edge of a flea's hind leg, to everyone is not and never has been a JW, or is not closely related to one (i.e., 99.8% of earth's population).

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Why would they, unless they have some close relative/Friends in the cult. Everyone has enough in their lives to think upon.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I agree. The majority are unaware. Perhaps when some show up at their door...of course, they might get them mixed up with Mormons. But then the solution is the same: they don't answer.

Some seem to believe JWs are just another Christian denomination and pretty benign. After all, they seem like nice, friendly people.

It is ironic that Scientology gets all the attention when they are so small in comparison. Heck, I would bet the JW religion disfellowships the equivalent of the total number of active Scientologists each year. But then, Scientology has courted celebrity and now that is coming back to haunt them.

• Ding
    Ding

I don't think the public cares at all unless they see that children are being hurt.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Unless you know a JW I don't think people really care much about what is happening with JWs. They probably read the child abuse articles and put it under all one umbrella of another "child abuse and religion" scandal.

Unless people are effected by something personally they probably are not going to care too much about it.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    I was wondering if you guys think if the general public cares about our stories or if they even care what the Watchtower does to people??

Hi Christian.

My wife and I have been out for 50 years. When we left the only ones who cared were close family members who were still in. A few arguments later they gave up on us and we had a peaceful fade.

I didn't think twice about the JW's for 4 decades until I stumbled into this site. I found that I really cared about the people on forums like this one who have had a difficult time gaining freedom from religion, keeping their family intact etc.

Now I share my information with a wide circle of good friends. The Blood issue, Armageddon, shunning, the pedophile issues come's up in my conversation when appropriate.

They do start caring when their friend....me........ shares the stories on this site with them. I have a very good community reputation in our small city in part because of our volunteer work and in general our hospitality.

So my opinion about the JW's does carry some weight.

The biggest problem the WTBTS faces these days is that verifiable information about their organization and history is available online.

I find that other then a few decent people that associate with the local congregations Jehovah's Witnesses are not greatly respected. They are not community people outside of their group.

The people who really care about our stories are the ones who have learned TTATT or have started to question the beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit