Epicurean Paradox

by Tahoe 27 Replies latest social humour

• Tahoe
  • cofty
    cofty

'Natural evil' is irrefutable proof that the god of xtian theism does not exist.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Some people say that if there wasn't suffering, we wouldn't appreciate the good or be better people etc. Even Capt. Picard said something like that. A Space 1999 episode had the crew find a "living" asteroid with a being imprisoned in it. Once released he causes suffering to them all on the same pretext. Guess why he was imprisoned in the first place? Yes it was a reference to God and Satan.

Either we need evil for the above reasons or it's our fault for not listening to God.

I like the chart by the way.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

God on trial. We can put God on trial and unlike what they teach at the kingdom hall that is perfectly ok. But it will evidently not do much good. The existence of God does not depend on human reasoning. The whole idea of philosophical arguments pro and contra God are ridiculous. The Epicurean paradox places the experience of man in the center of the universe but not even scientific philosophies agree that man is in the center of everything. While it is obviously natural for man to yell when he feel pain, this whole Epicurean paradox is about who is in charge. Although few men have the feeling of being in charge of their life, they naturally abhor the idea of God being in charge. Groan creation, groan. It is ok. It is birth pangs.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Christians believe that God will eventually do away with evil and suffering and Christians will live happily in perfection.

If a perfect life without evil and suffering is possible, then it never needed to exist in the first place.

• caves
    caves

Nice chart.

I was thinking the other day, if I remember correctly, that according to jws that Michael (Jesus) helped create the other angels and if that is true then Jesus created Satan. Would that make Jesus Satan's father of sorts? Now that Jesus is king according to jws, Jesus is advancing war on his creation, his son, Satan.

Conversely if jeho made Satan then they(jesus) and (satan) are brothers. In any case, thinking on it its so completely wack to me.

But so is jeho putting a tree in the Garden of Eden that you couldn't eat from as a "test". Yet jeho doesn't want to be tested himself. Such crap. Especially minuscule weak humans. How in the world could a human possibly "test" this jehovah as he is advanced in the jw beliefs? Oh wait, Satan did and then jeho passed the buck off to little itty bitty humans? Insane god!

Making believe it (the bible crap) happened, If I were an angel. I would have made that snake talk too.

I look back now and just shake my head.

• Tim207
    Tim207

Haha I saw this on 9gag today.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Of course the Apostle Paul ignores this bit if the writings of Epicurus, assuming he knew of it, though other Philosophers posited similar ideas.

The accusation attributed to the Athenians that he was " a seed picker", that he chose what he would take on board, and what he would ignore, seems to be true in his case. Pick and Mix Philosophy was his way.

I raised this question of the Paradox with an Elder I met in the street on day, and the thought of why Nature was "red in tooth and claw" that Cofty mentioned above, we talked for a minute or two, and then he literally ran away throwing over his shoulder the comment " But there is no answer !". He must have known that if he had not run off my reply would have been, "yes there is........ that your god does not exist".

• cofty
    cofty

^^^ Priceless ^^^

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

From a JW perspective, there is another branch from the “Then why is there Evil?” box, i.e.

I dare say other branches from this box could be dreamt up, but so far they all lead to a God that is either limited and imperfect, or simply doesn’t exist. Oh, there is a third option of course, that he’s an evil pile of shit who deserves nothing but utter contempt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit