Being embarrassed by a JW when you were a JW

by punkofnice 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gorb
    Gorb

Remember 15 jw's in front of the house for the fieldservice gathering. I parked my car, stepped out and ask, whats going on?

"Br and sister so-and-so stopped with the truth this week, and we have no new gathering adress".

That was the morning we held the gathering with daily text and prayer in the garden of former br and sister so-and-so and went in service 😊

G.

• carla
    carla

As ubm I am embarrassed when at a function that plays the National Anthem and the only people sitting down are my jw and people in wheelchairs! Somehow we always seem to be near Vets too. These old guys struggle to stand up and here I am trying to distance myself from my looney jw. And yes, people can see this all the way across a football field, soccer field, basketball court or baseball diamond.

It also embarrassing when at a dinner function (non religious) yet they have someone say a generic prayer and my jw is looking all around trying very hard to make sure people can see he is not participating in anyway. Funny thing is most people have no clue he is a jw and think he is an atheist or something. lol

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome Forestgirl

I noticed some of my "brothers" and "sisters" lacked that sincerity. They either were there just to count time, to win arguments, or because they felt forced to. Some almost treated it like war. Us vs them.

Yes. I'd forgotten about that.

One Jobot used to try to use phrases from the New Fake World Translation. He haughtily said to a vicar with whom he was arguing (as you say above), 'You yourself have said it.'(tm). Not long after, that same Brother(tm) was imprisoned for being a nonce.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Embarrassed on the ministry when a young man at the door said he was dating a JW woman. The sister I was with got out her notebook and pen and asked the young man for the name and congregation of the sister so that she could report her to the elders for dating a non JW.

Also embarrassed by the JWs who would insist on ostentatiously saying a group prayer before a meal in a restaurant.

I was embarrassed for a sister in the meeting when she expressed delight about a local church that had burned down because it is part of “Babylon the Great”. It sounded way over the top to me, to the point that I wondered about whether she really meant what she was saying. She was someone who converted to become a JW in order to marry a JW brother she had met at the gym. I already suspected her conversion might be less than genuine, and her over the top comment about Babylon the Great burning down made me suspect that she was attempting to imitate a JW response to the situation and not expressing her actual opinion.

• Magnum
    Magnum

slimboyfat:

Also embarrassed by the JWs who would insist on ostentatiously saying a group prayer before a meal in a restaurant.

That embarrassed me, too. Also, one time, a group prayer was said in a small hospital waiting room; it was really awkward and embarrassing.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Carla said : ".......at a dinner function (non religious) yet they have someone say a generic prayer and my jw is looking all around trying very hard to make sure people can see he is not participating in anyway. Funny thing is most people have no clue he is a jw and think he is an atheist or something. lol"

This is an example of JW needing to be seen to be towing the line. In such a situation when I was a JW, I respectfully bowed my head, and looked at the floor, why not ? Why be SO rude ?

I do hope he wakes up one day soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit