Being embarrassed by a JW when you were a JW

by punkofnice 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i was embarrassed--being a JW.

But oddly enough i am quite open about it now.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I sort of thought that was rather funny, not embarrassing.

• Ding
    Ding

The most embarrassing thing I encountered was a foot-in-the-door JW who wouldn't take "no" or "not interested" for an answer.

One time he wouldn't leave until the householder threatened to pick him up and throw him off the porch.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Ding - a foot-in-the-door JW

I've met a few of those. One claimed to be 'anointed(tm)', which I now think simply means 'bonkers'.

• ForestGirl
    ForestGirl

I was a pioneer. I was sincere about wanting to help people ... if they were seeking it.

I knocked on doors out of place of love for my fellow man.

However, I noticed some of my "brothers" and "sisters" lacked that sincerity. They either were there just to count time, to win arguments, or because they felt forced to. Some almost treated it like war. Us vs them. I foolishly tried to make them find "joy in the work" and to care about finding true "sheeplike ones".

Glad I found my way out and am not spreading the nonsense around anymore.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    I've met a few of those. One claimed to be 'anointed(tm)', which I now think simply means 'bonkers'.

I think Watchtower agreed with that diagnosis at one point when heaven's gates were still closed in 1935.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

not my story but told to me. Some young men were in a car group together and they drove onto a property with no really good place to turn around. No one was home. So to facilitate a better turning maneuver, the driver pulled the car into an open garage. The floor to the garage was rotten wood! They were stuck there until the home owner arrived!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STAN LIVEDEATH:

I was as embarrassed as you can imagine being a Witness and felt like the stupidest fool in the world in a clown suit when I was in the door to door work!

I didn’t feel right about public preaching maybe because I didn’t believe in bothering people and not entirely sure I believed of all of the teachings. As others have said, if someone said No.. I gladly turned and left.

Even though I went out in car ‘service’ groups in suburban neighborhoods and not the dangerous urban areas some on here have, I still didn’t feel entirely safe at times. Now, I see we were putting ourselves on the front lines and anything could have happened to us.

As far as it being an urgent ‘warning work’, I didn’t buy that because a real warning work should use the media. No, it’s nothing but a busy making work and a visible yardstick by which to judge the rank & file JWs. I think it’s also the ‘claim to fame’ by which the religion is recognized.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

LHG

The most embarrassing thing for me was--public prayer. Imagine having to stand in front of the congregation and praying out loud--making it up as you speak. You lucky sisters were spared that humiliation.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LHG - I didn’t buy that because a real warning work should use the media. No, it’s nothing but a busy making work and a visible yardstick by which to judge the rank & file

A very astute observation. The Watchtower Corporation(tm) is just a big business masquerading as a religion. A sickening pyramid scheme.

he most embarrassing thing for me was--public prayer.

As an Elder(tm) I loathed doing this. Also, when I had to introduce the Kingdom Songs(tm) I say something like, 'Now we sing the rousing song....' but in my head I thought 'another tuneless load of rubbish.' Even as a fully hypnotised JW(tm), I thought the songs were written by talentless hacks. I'd go home an put on some Punk rock to get the drone out of my mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit