Being embarrassed by a JW when you were a JW

by punkofnice 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was out on the Ministry(tm) in the 1980's when I was pie-on-earring. I was only a lowly Publisher(tm) being coached by a rather odd Elder(tm).

One of the publications(tm) had recently mentioned Japan and the Growth(tm) of JWs there.

The Elder(tm), Brother(tm) I was with offered the magazines(tm) to the householder(tm).

Then he stated, 'There are (gave the reported numbers at the time. I can't remember the number he stated), Jehovah's witnesses(tm) in Japan.'

He then asked, 'Do you know why?'

H/H shook her head.

Then Brother Bonkers repeatedly smashed his fist into his palm and said in a loud voice, 'Because we dropped the bomb on them. That's why!!!'

Exit H/H. Exit me.

He wasn't the only completely didlow person I went on the ministry(tm) with.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

LOL. I don't think I ever was in field service with anyone that unhinged. The only thing that I remember is one time when I was in field service with an elder and we approached an old man to preach to him, but the old man started preaching to us. And the elder immediately bid the guy farewell and we left him alone right quick! The elder mumbled under his breath something about "not wanting to hear the teachings of demons."

It was one of those moments where your brain starts to work and pull you into areas you really don't want to as a JW. Because all I could think was that we were out there, pushing our beliefs to people all morning, but we practically panicked when someone did the same to us. And we knew we were doing exactly what the WTS wanted- we were not to listen to anyone else's teaching or preaching! It felt very hypocritical.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

LOL, Hilarious!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Tonus - I think I had many moments like that. A biker came to the door once and said, 'I'm a Satanist.'

I was willing to talk to him about Iron Maiden and such delights but the Brother(tm) I was with said, 'Well, thank you goodbye.' He proceeded to almost run from the block of flats. He told me how frightened he was and we mustn't get mixed up with these people.

I said, 'You do know he was having you on, don't you?!'

Oh, I have other stories. I left the JWs with the over riding thought that most of them were didlow.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

a "sister" and I got into a young couple's home. She went on and on, not paying attention to their eye rolling and their clearly wanting us to leave but being to polite to say so. I finally got in interject a word or two in hopes of getting us out of there and she started into another long winded sermon. Another time I was with a "sister" who was speaking with a house holder and I don't recall what the house holder said, but I do remember the "sister' being a smart-aleck with her answer. ( totally uncalled for)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nuffy - Brilliant to hear now. I bet at the time it was a case of, 'ground swallow me up, now!'

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Lost count.

Eventually, I learned to just roll my eyes and move on.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The same Elder(tm) was on the Platform(tm) and started an item,

'I'm a man and so is my wife.....'

He paused then continued,

'Who doesn't like to see cruelty to animals....................Why are you laughing Brothers?'

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Most Pioneers I worked with are very pushy. Like used car sales men trying to sell a lemon. I could never be so be so pushy. Once I heard no I was gone.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Fooly - I was never pushy. What's the point? It just annoys people.

I have met a wide range of 'zealous(tm)' JWs over the years. Most were a bit eccentric....to say the least.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit