The disappointed look on a Jehovah's Witness face - that you're living a good and fulfilling life

by jambon1 32 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Another thread got me thinking of this issue.

i don't think you'll ever come across a set of people with such a skewed and twisted outlook on life.

My memory serves me well when I recall a sort of blood lusting excitement over things like the 9/11 atrocities. In fact I remember JW's describing the event as 'sad but exciting.' 🙁

I don't think I've ever met a set of people who thrive on bad news. Earthquakes, terrorism, wars, etc. Never will you come across such strange and quite frankly, disturbing glee as these things unfold in news stories.

On a personal level though, it reflects even more badly on them. Jehovah's Witnesses DO NOT want to hear that you're doing great in life. Even within the congregations, they were never happier than if someone was going through the mill, sinning or suffering some other problem. It's as if it feeds their persecution complex. As if they NEED bad news. As if it validates their world view.

Over the years I've attended funerals and other JW functions. The look of utter confusion on their faces as you swagger in, confidently and without sorrow. It's as if you are required to play the role of 'lost sheep' on those occasions. All beaten by the 'wicked world' and disconsolate.

In conversation they probe you. Fishing for something, ANYTHING that may affirm to them that your decision to leave the organisation was a bad one.

But what an indictment on a set of people! What a strange way to live your life. A strange outlook. A strange perspective.

The best thing you can do is to live a good, productive life. Believe me, they hear about it. You don't need to go about bragging. Shouting 'I'M HAPPY' from the rooftops. Just live your life. Your productive and happy existence will have them scratching their heads as they look around at how many problems exist in the 'spiritual paradise.'

Be happy.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"The best thing you can do is to live a good, productive life. Believe me, they hear about it. You don't need to go about bragging. Shouting 'I'M HAPPY' from the rooftops. Just live your life. Your productive and happy existence will have them scratching their heads as they look around at how many problems exist in the 'spiritual paradise.'

Be happy."

Great post! Yes, this is a doom and gloom cult. It perplexes them when you are happy. That's why my spouse and I are supper happy when we bump into a JW. "We're doing GREAT" throws them for a loop. The look on their faces is priceless!

Flag Dislike LikeKeep smilin everyone!
  • TipsyMangoTea
    TipsyMangoTea

It's like they're trying to play a video game on a nonexistent difficulty level, making things hard for themselves and wondering why you're not doing the same and proclaiming that the Witness struggle is real.

One sister from my congregation once asked me how college was going, and when I said that the commute was a bit difficult, she followed up about praying for strength and going to field service with her.

I learned never to complain and just say "I'm doing okay!"

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Don't know why post was flagged dislike. Sorry. Great post
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Yeah, it's so true. Every time I see my sister now it's like she is suffering severe cognitive dissonance, trying to fit in what she she's in front of her, a happy , optimistic person, with what she tells herself about me when I am not around, that I am miserable, depressed and bitter. The mental gyrations she goes through to maintain this fiction must be exhausting, lol.
  • respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

That analysis seems pretty spot on from my view.

My perspective is a bit different since we're still "in", but we miss a lot of meetings, mostly because we travel a lot -- for work, pleasure, and family. There are a couple of people in our congregation who ALWAYS start with "it's soooooo good to see you!" at just about every meeting we're at. It's written all over their faces that they want us to voice regret, or somehow skulk around in shame or apologize for not being there for 3 weeks. Instead we have big smiles and tell them how much fun the trip to [insert foreign country, opposite coast, etc.] was.

We're still young(ish), educated, work hard enough to have nice things, and we're articulate and sociable. However, we've decided that it's not really worth it to waste our time on, or justify ourselves to, people with whom we share no similar interests or circumstances. We don't apologize, nor are we ashamed of how we spend our time, and the great opportunities and experiences we have in life.

We are, by far, the least "spiritual" of our extended families. Yet, we seem to enjoy the greatest "blessings" out of everyone.

Basically our life looks (and is) pretty awesome and you can see and feel the frustration/confusion on many of their faces as to why that is.

• just fine
    just fine

I agree with this. Everyone expects us to crash and burn when we leave. When that doesn't happen, it's hard for them to make sense of it. They are shocked by how "blessed" I have been since leaving, and how happy my husband and I are.

My parents have commented on how they like to hang out with me vs my JW siblings, since my siblings are miserable.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    You mean like when people here get excited about the ARC, long time volunteers being laid off from bethel, etc.? I'm sure nobody here is excited because they like to see individuals have problems, but because of what they believe it portends: the end of a system they feel is a problem and needs to go. Likewise, I don't know many JWs who don't feel compassion for individuals with problems or in a disaster or tragedy, but they're excited because of what they believe it portends: the end of a system they feel is a problem and needs to go.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The JWS get mentally initiated with the suggestion that all other religions are false soon to be destroyed with all of their participating members. People who left are evil and do not want to serve or be obedient to Jehovah and his chosen FDSL / executive directors of the Watchtower Corporation.

Well when the leaders of this organization proclaim that people who leave are mentally diseased , what else are they to think. ?

Part of the indoctrination that goes on by the WTS's leaders is that everything outside of their religion is evil wrought with corruption , harm, unwholesomeness, ungodliness ,unrighteousness.

This impression lays deep into a JWS mindset and is more or less indoctrinated to keep people under the WTS leadership prevailing control, for better or worse it works.

• Giordano
    Giordano

"Here, as elsewhere, the technique of a mass movement aims to infect people with a malady and then offer the movement as a cure.

Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable - it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive and dull. It decries pleasures and comforts and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary enjoyment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral. "

Eric Hoffer 1950

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit