Is the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses REALLY the "faithful and discreet slave" of Matt. 24:45-47?

by Roger Kirkpatrick 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Fisherman

All I said was “refers”.And there are good reasons to believe WT interpretation of the verse.

Really? What are the good reasons to accept the WTS interpretation that the Faithful Slave started as a small group of men chosen in 1919 at Brooklyn headquarters and that every Christian has to put their trust in their current successors or be destroyed at Armageddon?

I hope this is convincing Fishy, because I don't want to be destroyed at Armageddon for missing what is scripturally obvious to you.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The Question is:

Is the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses committing Blasphemy?

(99+) Is the Governing Body Committing Blasphemy | Jeffrey Thomas - Academia.edu

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    FM - I didn’t say specifically stated. All I said was “refers”.

Facepalm. What a cop our.! But you did say 'specifically'. If it 'refers', where does it 'specifically refer'?

And there are good reasons to believe WT interpretation of the verse.

No there aren't. I bet you can't prove this in any way whatsoever without mental gymnastics and out of context scriptures.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Vandy - Is the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses committing Blasphemy?

Yes. When I was coming out of the JW's and still believed in Bible things and went to Church, I thought that the Governing Body(Pee be upon them), had become 'apostates(tm)' like the kings of Israel. Started off faithful but then went lairy.

I speak as a non believer-cum-agnostic now so any 'reasoning' on scriptures is kind of lost on me. No offence meant.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hey, Vandy, me ol' mate....or anyone else come to that............

What's your view on the Governing Body(tm)(Pee be upon them), agreeing that they should all shun Christ at the Memorial(tm) unless you pretend to be Anointed(tm)?

That sounds pretty blasphemous to me. (Although I'm not a believer...but if I was, kinda thing).

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Punky,

"...teaching them not to observe everything I have commanded you..."

JWs are preaching a false gospel which does not save them and unrelatable Jesus whose blood does not apply.

Sad really.

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

So the f & d slave were allegedly appointed by Christ in 1919? - starting with the first one, J F Rutherford, then N Knorr, then the group that took over in the 70’s and those that followed down to this day?

Well how does that work? Jesus Christ said “by their fruits” we would recognise his faithful disciples, yet the attitudes and practices of those men generally have been just like those of other religious groups, arrogant, self-serving, self-right righteous, (some have even been immoral) - as a group of ‘ruling’ ones they have advocated ‘fleecing’ the flock by insisting on guilting members of their flock into giving money they can ill afford to support their whims, and selfish desires, - under the disguise of building much needed halls, conventions, special talks, special visits etc etc.

they eat the best of food, have comfortable, well maintained homes, serviced by a body servants, nice clothes, laundered and cleaned again, by servants, they have good cars, serviced free of charge, all paid for health treatment, - free dentistry, …

whereas the flock are supposed to live in poverty or near poverty to prove their devotion to God, they travel in style, while the flock traipse on foot through jungles and the like, they stay in good homes whilst away from HQ, whilst the flock put up with tents, motor homes and sub-standard accommodations during assemblies, many publishers have given up holiday time, or even their jobs to get to assemblies, again guilted into doing this. they are looked upon as celebrities by the devoted flock, and yes, I know they get expensive gifts even though I can give you no proof.

There are, it is true, not a few millionaires amongst JWs, but in the decades I have associated with them both in the U.K. and overseas, the majority are just struggling to get by, but the attitude of their governing body seems to be ‘go in peace, keep warm and well-fed’.

Personally, I see the Governing Body as the very essence of the 1st century scribes and Pharisees, of whom Jesus said, ‘do as they say, not as they do’.

Rant over, - spelling errors etc probably down to spell-check dysfunction.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Hopeless - I think you have their number. I never expected them to be perfect, but I did expect honesty, which they lack altogether. They tell so many lies that I now believe exactly the opposite of everything they say. They lack scholarly skills and just expect the R&F to accept any non-sensical interpretation they float. Let me add that they have been that way since Rutherford.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    TM - They lack scholarly skills and just expect the R&F to accept any non-sensical interpretation they float.

Anyone would think they're just running a scam to get power and money. Just like most Politicians.

But of course, they all say they're not...so whom do you believe (he said tongue in cheek, fingers crossed behind back and smirking like a Cheshire cat).

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

tbk , Nw, says it all for me ,

Nowwhat for the win!

First, it is a parable. Second, in this parable there isn't a separate evil slave from the faithful slave. Third, there is no mention or even insinuation in this parable that there is a class of people who comprise said slave.

Sums it up nicely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit