I threw my pearls away

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Yea, I did something I tought I'd never do. I finally threw most of my JW hard cover books away. I must have had about 50 JW books laying there on the floor in the closet. Not even in a bookcase, like proud dubs do.

It seems to be a JW thing that you should never throw away what comes from Jehovah even if it is old and obsolete. I guess this forum helped me understand that I was living a lie, trying to hold on to a piece of what was left of the "truth".

Once the books go, only the memories remain.

Have you got to the phase of throwing all JW literature away?

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

To each their own, and if you throwing away all of that old JW literature proves helpful in your healing process, then I encourage it.

However it must be stated that old literature such as that is not reprinted by the Watchtower Society because it contains damning evidence of their contradictions, false prophecies, and outright lies. Those books serve as valuable tools in instructing other people about the Watchtower cult and potentially saves lives in extricating people from the religion.

It should also be noted that even if you did not want to keep them for yourself, some of the old Watchtower literature can potentially earn you some money, as they are valuable and often auctioned on ebay.

• JH
    JH

They were all in french and in good shape. I couldn't get over how may books I had in double and triple. Even dubs don't read these books anymore. Why should I.

Proof that they changed teachings? Maybe some keep these books to prove to others how they changed throughout the years, but I'll leave that to someone else to tell others.

I remember each time I moved, I had to haul these abundant heavy books in boxes and put them somewhere. Now I made a good clean-up. I only kept a bible, song book, and not much more.

Good riddens !

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Reborn: Good point, I just couldn't stand seeing them in my home or life anymore. Wish I had thought of it as that.

• JH
    JH

Didn't the society ask members to bring back certain old books, if they still had them home? I heard this once on the forum.

Maybe the old light that they contained didn't match too well with the new light of today.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

WooHoo! JH!!!

Hey, JH...I'm prouda you!!! I also threw out all my jw books...about four years ago. I have not regretted it, or said to myself, "Geez, I wish I had kept that --- --- book."

Interesting for me to note...when I read the "Mankind's Search for God", that is what got me thinking about if my jw beliefs worked for me...and...guess what! I came to the conclusion that jw-isms don't work for meee!!! Why hang on to the beliefs or the books!!!

When I first noticed you on this forum, I wondered if you were still a jw...or a jw-wanna-be....well, now I know you have left them...seeing you throw your books out! Research purposes....sheesh!!! Why would I wanna crack a jw book...ever!!!

I have noticed...there seem to be a lotta jw-wanna-be's on this forum...

ESTEE

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

every now and then I'll run across those that I have saved, wondering why? Then I go through and throw them away making sure they are torn to shreds so some poor soul doesn't read them in the dump ( I've heard this has happened in a talk at an assembly). I recently had a handful of tapes still in the wrapper, I opened them pulled out the tape and cut it. Some of the Awakes I keep only because my sons have used the pictures (like the ocean or cell pics) for a class project, cutting out the pictures. I'm still hanging on to the Insight books to use as reference to validate a point when the WTS change their minds again.

from IMANALIENTO logging on to hubby's ID

don't think of it as pearls, when it's more like Vomit your cleaning up.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Have you got to the phase of throwing all JW literature away?

Yes, we did that a couple of years ago. Dave took a big load to the dump, mostly WT and Awake volumes (30 years worth) and cassette tapes, music and mags. We sold a lot on ebay too, that had collector's value, and made a LOT OF MONEY!!!

We kept a few items that Dave thought were still valuable for research..............Insight books, Bibles, Greatest Man book, Commentary on James, Mankind's Search for God, and a yearbook or two, that had sentimental value. My late stepfather was mentioned in two of them (he was a CO in this country, and a Branch overseer in the Netherlands after WW2). I imagine we will get around to chucking some of those things one day too.

We have his old collection of Studies in the Scriptures and Photo Drama of Creation that are valuable and we aren't ready to part with yet. Who knows when they might come in handy?

• Francois
    Francois

Heavens to Mergatroid! Think people, think!!! Yes, I threw away all that crap EXCEPT for the old "Make Sure" book. Haven't you noticed how thin that paper is, how uniformly made, how easy to cut out and trim to the "right" size according to your then-current needs, how it will stick to itself with the merest flick of a tongue?

Don't you realize how much money you can save with each and every old "Make Sure" books you can come up with? Think about it.

I would like to have a copy of "JWs in the Divine Purpose" this official JW apologia is as good as having a picture of the offenders with their hands still in the cookie jar. But alas, I seem to have thrown that thick-papered book away.

francois

• JH
    JH

Oh, my conscience couldn't take it anymore. I went back into the garbage can and brought them back inside and put the books back at their place.

Not true...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit